Job Family Summary Perform general accounting activities, including the preparation, maintenance and reconciliation of ledger accounts. Prepare, record, analyze accounting transactions and ensure the integrity of accounting records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with enterprise accounting policies, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and statutory accounting principles (STAT). Prepare GAAP and STAT financial statements for both internal and external users. Provide technical research, accounting guidance, and strategic advice to partners when planning and structuring complex, new, and unusual business transactions. Responsible for development and oversight of enterprise-wide system of financial reporting controls through risk assessments, design and effectiveness reviews, and testing procedures. Job Summary Provide intermediate accounting, financial analysis, and financial reporting to the company. Ensure adequate level of internal controls over financial information. Work with other divisions of the corporation to record and analyze financial information to management. Participate as a team member in divisional and cross-divisional projects. Help with the training of entry-level staff. You will report to a Senior Manager in Accounting.
Compensation Minimum:$59,600 / year
Compensation Maximum:$95,400 / year
Compensation may vary based on the job level and your geographic work location.
- Prepare components of annual audited financial statements, quarterly GAAP management highlights, and quarterly and annual statutory statements and associated supplemental filings. Complete exhibits and schedules for inclusion in these statements based on information gathered from other teams.
- Prepare and file required information with external parties and specialized management reports based on actual results for internal distribution.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly journal entries and reconcile main general ledger accounts following company policies and internal controls. Use the general ledger system to analyze account fluctuations and deviations from expectations.
- Maintain procedures for all main responsibilities to support internal controls and annually reviews these procedures and update them accordingly.
- Develop an understanding of statutory and GAAP accounting rules applicable to specific entities and transaction types. Apply knowledge of statutory and GAAP accounting rules to multiple management reports. Research moderately complex accounting issues and pronouncements.
- Assist internal and external audit staff with their annual financial audit, and with audits of specific systems or operations.
- Identify and lead department process improvement programs.
- You will have these experiences:
- 2-5 years of experience in insurance or experience with capital, fixed assets, and leases.
- Public accounting background is great!
- CPAs (and CPA candidates) are encouraged to apply.
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Accounting or related field
- Workday Financial Management/General Ledger experience.
- Applied, advanced level, Excel skills
- Your offer will be made contingent on the results of applicable background checks.
- Your offer is contingent on signing a non-disclosure agreement for proprietary information, trade secrets, and inventions.
- Our policy restricts consideration of applicants needing employment sponsorship (visa) to specialty occupations. Sponsorship will not be considered for this position unless otherwise specified in the posting.
Specialized Knowledge & Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience providing customer-driven solutions, support or service.
- Demonstrated experience in communicating financial information.
- Demonstrated experience managing/leading projects.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of, and demonstrated experience utilizing, complex concepts related to accounting and accounting systems.
- Demonstrated experience with spreadsheets utilizing complex functions and formulas.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of financial reporting, financial analysis, budget and forecasting techniques or internal controls.
- This position requires travel up to 5% of the time.
Additional Job Information
This is a hybrid role that involves working a minimum of 10 days per month in the office. Work locations for this role include: Madison, WI; Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; Minneapolis, MN; Denver, CO; Phoenix, AZ; Nashville, TN; Atlanta, GA
At American Family Insurance, we believe people are an organization's most valuable asset, and their ideas and experiences matter. From our CEO to our agency force, we're committed to growing a culture that empowers innovation that will inspire, protect, and restore our customers' dreams in ways never imagined. Join our team. Bring your dreams.
We provide benefits that support your physical, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You will have access to comprehensive medical, dental, vision and wellbeing benefits that enable you to take care of your health. We also offer a competitive 401(k) contribution, a pension plan, an annual incentive, 9 paid holidays and a paid time off program (23 days accrued annually for full-time employees). In addition, our student loan repayment program and paid-family leave are available to support our employees and their families. Interns and contingent workers are not eligible for American Family Insurance Group benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer. It is our policy to comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws pertaining to non-discrimination, non-harassment and equal opportunity. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.
We encourage you to apply even if you do not meet all of the requirements listed above. Skills can be used in many different ways, and your life and professional experience may be relevant beyond what a list of requirements will capture. We encourage those who are passionate about what we do to apply!