New York, NY – 8th Avenue
Please make sure to attach your resume to complete your application.
The mission of the Finance Department at the ASPCA is to execute our strategic financial plan that directly impacts our mission to ensure animals live good lives, are valued by society, protected by its laws, and free from cruelty, pain, and suffering. The Finance Team has a collaborative working environment that encourages innovative thinking, continuous learning, and active participation in program activities.
The Accounts Payable Manager organizes, manages, records, and analyzes Accounts Payable in our Enterprise system Workday. Supervises two Accounts Payable Coordinators, maintains supplier relations, oversees all disbursements and processes and files the 1099’s to recipients and the IRS.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Accounts Payable (65%)
- Review and approve invoices, grants, refunds, reimbursements, and other payment requests in the Workday System.
- Coordinate grant payment requests and upload payment reports in Fluxx (Grant tracking system).
- Create Invoice Settlements for ACH, Checks, Virtual Card (PaymodeX), Zelle and Wire payments.
- Print in-house checks weekly or upon emergency requests at the ASPCA 8th Avenue Office
- Issue payments to suppliers before the due date and monitoring available payment discounts based on applicable payment terms.
- Respond to suppliers inquiries and past due invoices.
- Respond to department staff inquiries on payment status and other issues.
- Create and mail 1099 forms to recipients and e-file 1099 reports to IRS.
- Run accounts payable reports upon request.
- File unclaimed checks and work with Sovos on compliance filings by state
- Review and manage applicable state sales taxes and work with the accounting department to complete and remit state fillings (North Carolina, California and Kansas)
- Assist Controller/VP Finance during Audit.
People Management, Coaching & Team Leadership (20%):
- Supervise a team of two Accounts Payable Coordinators, supporting a culture of respect, belonging, and teamwork
- Provide regular, timely, and direct feedback
- Facilitate regular one-on-one check ins and quarterly feedback sessions with direct reports
- Lead performance management, developmental coaching, and regular evaluations
- Support programmatic team AP Administers (AP Self Service Team), review and approve invoice submissions
Special Projects & Additional Responsibilities (15%)
- Train and support administrative staff on Self-Service Supplier Invoice in Workday and/or supplier relations to ensure timely processing.
- Coordinate with Paymode and Alight/OCR (Optical Character Recognition) on Accounts Payable process.
- Troubleshoot with vendors who utilize the CXML invoice submission process
- Support the continual optimization of Workday and ASPCA systems by staying current with semi-annual release updates
- Attend ASPCA Learning and Development staff training and outside seminars for personal improvement.
- Assist in events and other animal lifesaving projects, including volunteering for direct response, on-site fundraising events, and shadowing ASPCA programmatic teams
Exemplifies the ASPCA’s Core Values:
- Has Commitment and dedication to improving the lives of animals
- Demonstrates Ownership and feels responsible for outcomes
- Believes in Team – that we are stronger together
- Seeks to Elevate others and reimagine what is possible
- Focuses on Impact, specifically making change for animals
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting pay for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of factors, including but not limited to education, training, experience, location, business needs, internal equity, market demands or budgeted amount for the role. The target hiring range is for new hire offers only, and staff compensation may increase beyond the maximum hiring range based on performance over time. The maximum of the hiring range is reserved for candidates with the highest qualifications and relevant experience. The expected hiring salary range for this role is set forth below and may be modified in the future.
The target hiring range for this role is $88,000 – $93,000 annually
For more information on our benefits offerings, can be found here.
Stay Connected – Join Our Talent Community
If you are interested in joining our team but do not see a position listed that fits your experience or interests, please click this link and join our Talent Community to stay connected to future opportunities with the ASPCA.
Ability to assess and implement technology, including streamlining and automating processes, Ability to create and maintain precise documentation of digital records, print and digital correspondence, Ability to perform effectively and professionally under fluctuating work conditions and in a fast paced highly interactive work environment, Ability to work well independently and as a self-starter, Display willingness to make decisions, exhibit sound judgment and contribute to building positive team spirit, Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritize multiple projects, deadlines and details with little oversight and be responsive to requests, Proficiency in Microsoft Office (especially Excel), Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and internal controls, Strong mathematical and computational skills, Strong people and customer service skills, advocate of positive working relationships, Well-organized, extreme attention to detail, multi-tasker and self-directed individual
Education and Work Experience:
3+ year experience managing direct reports, 3+ years Accounts Payable experience, 5+ years professional experience, preferably in a non-profit environment, Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting and/or Finance required, Experience with PaymodeX and/or OCR technology a plus, Workday experience a plus
Our EEO Policy:
The ASPCA is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to a reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act and certain state or local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the ASPCA’s standard application process, which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on the ASPCA. Please inform the ASPCA’s People Team if you need an accommodation in order to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity or expression, age, marital or domestic partner status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local laws, regulations or ordinances.
ASPCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/D/V).
Please don’t forget to attach your resume to complete your application.