What if you could work with remarkable people on extraordinary things? What if the end result was something a little bit special? What if your role was mission critical?
For nearly 70 years, AWE has been at the forefront of nuclear weapons research and development. We have a critical mission: to provide the warheads for the UK’s ultimate deterrent – Trident. We also use our unique skills to provide wider UK government with counter-terrorism and nuclear threat reduction solutions.
It takes a special sort of person to work at AWE. What if that person was you?
We have an AWEsome opportunity for a Payroll Specialist to join our payroll team at AWE.
Location: We are located in the countryside (RG7 4PR) between Reading and Basingstoke with onsite parking. There are good bus links between Reading, Basingstoke and Newbury.
Salary: Starts at £33,700 up to £35,500 (depending on your suitability and level of experience)
As a Payroll Specialist, you will provide an efficient payroll service ensuring customers (staff) are paid accurately and enquiries are managed promptly and effectively.
What’s great about this role?
It’s a small, supportive team who will support you and help you to settle in. This would be a great role for someone returning to work or requiring flexible working.
A typical day as a Payroll Specialist could look like this:
- Ensuring accuracy of payments to employees
- Checking, auditing and managing expense enquiries promptly
- Responding to pay and expense queries
- Supporting and guiding junior team members
- Collating, developing, and issuing reports and presentations
- Building great relationships across the business
- Managing sensitive or classified material
We need you to have experience of:
- Two to three years of Payroll
- Use of Workday business system would be beneficial (but not essential)
- Using Microsoft Office applications – especially Excel
- Working in a fast-paced payroll environment
- Organising and prioritisation of tasks
- Coaching and development of team
As part of our People Promise, AWE (one of the best 25 big companies to work for in the UK) has a range of benefits to suit you. These include:
- Time to recharge your batteries with 270 hours of annual leave (plus every other Friday off work)
- Consideration for flexible working arrangements so that your work may fit in with your lifestyle. Just let us know on your application if you wish to work part time
- Opportunities for Professional Career Development that include funding for the annual membership of a relevant professional body, access to mentors and training
- Employee Assistance Programme and Occupational Health Services
- A generous defined contribution Group Personal Pension (we will pay between 9% and 13% of your pensionable pay depending on your own contribution)
- Life Assurance
- Discounts – access to savings on a wide range of everyday spending
- Special Leave Policy including paid time off for volunteering, public service (including reserve forces) and caring for your family
- A host of voluntary & core benefits to suit your health and wellbeing – more information available on our careers site
You can find out more about our benefits HERE
To apply: Please log into AWE Careers to submit your CV and a covering letter. Make sure that you highlight all relevant skills and experience for this job. Give us a clear view of what you can bring to the role and also why you want to work with the team here at AWE.
If successful, you must be willing to obtain Security Clearance (funded by us) in order to start with us this role. It can take several months for clearance to come through.
This job role is suitable for hybrid/ flexible working, which is an informal, non-contractual and voluntary arrangement, blending a balance of attendance in the workplace (your permanent duty station) and working from home as a personal choice. If you are successful, any opportunities for hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post.
The successful candidate is required to carry out all their duties from a UK location and cannot do so from an overseas location at any time.
Important things you need to know:
- Interviews will be scheduled during working hours
- Interviews will be 60 minutes on TEAMS
- Closing date is 11 December 24
If we receive an exceptionally high level of applications, this vacancy may close early. So don’t procrastinate, refresh your CV and covering letter and apply now!
For more information about the role or the recruitment process, get in touch with me (Sunflower) at: Sunflower.Montague@awe.co.uk
(Sorry agencies – all recruitment for this role is being managed by our internal resourcing team here at AWE)
Please note that you must be a British National to apply for a role with us.
Our ambition is to create workplaces where we recognise and celebrate differences, encourage diverse contributions and our employees feel able to be themselves at work. We strive to create a genuine culture of openness and inclusion and encourage diverse applicants. Any inclusion information you provide us will be used to encourage and support you through the application process and will be held only for this purpose in accordance with GDPR.