The Manager, Accounts Payable is responsible for managing the Accounts Payable function and all related activities for Babson College and Olin College. Specifically responsible for Babson College’s vendor relations, database management, 1042 Non-Resident Alien, and 1099 tax reporting; developing and implementing sound business policies and procedures that ensure adherence to proper internal and budgetary controls, compliance with tax policies, and the enhancement and integration of all payables information systems; ensuring that information technologies are employed to enable efficient work processes; ensuring that payment services to other organizations are effectively managed; and working in close coordination with all Financial Affairs colleagues as part of a set of integrated cross-functional business processes.
- Manages the Accounts Payable function, including processing invoices and employee travel advance/reimbursements ensuring proper authorization and compliance with vendor contracts and college policies.
- Manages the generation and proof of all college checks, wire transfers, and foreign drafts. This includes the monthly reconciliation of the Accounts Payable liability to the general ledger balance.
- Manages the Professional Service Agreements with independent contractors to ensure each agreement is a 1099 contractor and not a W2 employee.
- Be an active participant supporting the Workday system enhancements and projects for the accounts payable financial and P-Card modules.
- Responsible for the monthly Accounts Payable reconciliations
- Utilizes Workday reporting to audit daily, weekly, and/or monthly, duplicate vendor report, pending transaction report, P-Card (daily transaction report), and other expense reports to ensure expenses are being recorded accurately in the correct spend category.
- Identifies, analyzes, and documents accounts payable work processes, critical paths and redundancies, performance measures, and potential areas for accounts payable improvement opportunities. Where applicable, prepares accounts payable and operation reviews to document work processes, findings, and recommendations for presentation to various management groups and for explanation to user groups.
- Collaborates with the Procurement Department to ensure proper matching of open PO’s to supplier invoices.
- Coordinates college relationships with vendors regarding payment issues and communicates the appropriate information to the college community. Investigates problems and rectifies them in a timely fashion.
- Manages the College’s Authorized Signature process.
- Oversees training of staff in using Workday accounts payable.
- Ensures that the entire payables unit practices continuous quality improvement in all work activities, including the implementation of best practice techniques, efficient work processes, and the development and communication of college accounts payable policies and procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining proper security to protect confidential information & disposing of CFI in an appropriate manner (i.e., shredding/deleting electronic documents, etc.).
- Assumes additional responsibilities as required.
Supervisor, Accounts Payable
Procurement Card Program Specialist
Accounts Payable Coordinator (temporary)
Minimum Level of Education Required Bachelor’s Degree
Position Knowledge/Skills & Abilities Requirements:
- Must have at least 6-8 years of related accounts payable experience
- Previous management experience required.
- Experience in budget management.
- Must have strong technology skills including proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint) as well as financial systems
- Must have strong communication skills
- Must have strong supervisory skills
- Knowledge of contract documents and applicable tax laws
- Ability to create an environment where direct reports have the freedom and security to take initiative; deals with complexities with resilience, resourcefulness, and optimism; and appreciates open mindedness, creativity, and agility in thought and tactics.
- Ability to embrace ideas and changes created by all community members.
- Ability to work independently to solve problems; look for opportunities to take on responsibility; take thoughtful risks; and effectively act on new and ongoing initiatives, objectives, and solutions to gain sought-after results.
- Ability to anticipate and effectively handle change; demonstrate willingness to try new skills and challenging tasks; and is flexible in changing conditions.
- Babson College requires all Babson faculty and staff members authorized to work on our campuses or any other property owned or controlled by the College to verify that they have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19. We have extended our vaccination policy to require a COVID-19 booster shot for all eligible community members as well. Faculty and staff must provide booster vaccination information upon hire or within 21 days of becoming eligible for a booster (unless granted a medical accommodation or religious exemption). Requests for medical accommodation or religious exemption should be addressed directly to Human Resources
Additional Experience, Skills & Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business preferred
- Workday experience a plus