Bristol – Bridgewater House
Reading – Thames Tower
Ideas | People | Trust
We’re BDO. An accountancy and business advisory firm, providing the advice and solutions entrepreneurial organisations need to navigate today’s changing world.
We work with the companies that are Britain’s economic engine – ambitious, entrepreneurially-spirited and high‑growth businesses that fuel the economy – and directly advise the owners and management teams that lead them.
We’ll broaden your horizons
Working with every department at BDO, our Finance team helps us meet relevant legal requirements that ensure our firm operates effectively in a tightly-regulated field. They implement strategies that help us innovate – like combining new technology with traditional financial processes to make us even more digital. As part of this friendly team, you’ll enjoy flexible hours and have opportunities to take responsibility for the delivery of quality work. With your colleagues behind you, you’ll embrace change, new ideas and have an impact on the future of our firm.
We’ll help you succeed
Leading organisations trust us because of the quality of our advice. That quality grows from a thorough understanding of their business, and that understanding comes from working closely with them and building long-lasting relationships.
You’ll be someone who is both comfortable working proactively and managing your own tasks, as well as confident collaborating with others and communicating regularly with senior managers, directors, and BDO’s partners to help businesses effectively. You’ll be encouraged to identify and draw attention to opportunities for enhancing our delivery and providing additional services to organisations we work with.
You will be joining a team of 24 credit controllers who provide the expertise and controls to manage the risk surrounding BDO’s revenue flow. In this role you’ll:
- Actively chase all debt within the allotted portfolio, using appropriate means (telephone, email etc) and update stakeholders as appropriate
- Maintain accurate and up to date client notes following conversations with clients, using Workday to record status
- Have regular face-to-face meetings with stakeholders as required regarding their debt portfolios
- Monitor queries and disputes, ensuring the appropriate escalation
- Ensure consistent application of the firm’s debt provisioning policy
- Ensure that the debtors ledger contains minimal adjustments and where appropriate that overpayments or payments on account are promptly returned, applied or cleared
- Ensure that there are minimal unallocated cash receipts
- Review and analyse aged debt against defined metrics
- Prepare summary reports as and when required
- Identify problem debts that require escalation and liaise with Credit Control Manager as appropriate
- Where necessary, engage and manage the process of debts that need to go legal
- Ensure that any bills raised that are not sent out to clients in a timely manner are escalated to relevant managers
- Work with the accounts receivable team in respect of cash receipts and remittance details to aid effective and accurate allocation
- Provide client base with monthly statements of account as appropriate
- Produce copy bills or summary backup if required for clients
- Process Credit Notes assigned in an accurate and timely manner
- Be involved with credit checks on existing / new clients as appropriate before new work is agreed/commences
You’ll be someone with:
- Professional services experience, Workday experience would be preferred.
- Excel skills to a competent level.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to present confidently and convincingly to management if required
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to both motivate individuals and deal professionally with performance issues
- Commitment to delivering exceptional client service to internal and external stakeholders
You’ll be able to be yourself; we’ll recognise and value you for who you are and celebrate and reward your contributions to the business. We’re committed to agile working, and we offer every colleague the opportunity to work in ways that suit you, your teams, and the task at hand.
At BDO, we’ll help you achieve your personal goals and career ambitions, and we have programmes, resources, and frameworks that provide clarity and structure around career development.
We’re in it together
Mutual support and respect is one of BDO’s core values and we’re proud of our distinctive, people-centred culture. From informal success conversations to formal mentoring and coaching, we’ll support you at every stage in your career, whatever your personal and professional needs.
Our agile working framework helps us stay connected, bringing teams together where and when it counts so they can share ideas and help one another. At BDO, you’ll always have access to the people and resources you need to do your best work.
We know that collaboration is the key to creating value for the companies we work with and satisfying experiences for our colleagues, so we’ve invested in state-of-the-art collaboration spaces in our offices. BDO’s people represent a wealth of knowledge and expertise, and we’ll encourage you to build your network, work alongside others, and share your skills and experiences. With a range of multidisciplinary events and dedicated resources, you’ll never stop learning at BDO.
We’re looking forward to the future
At BDO, we help entrepreneurial businesses to succeed, fuelling the UK economy.
Our success is powered by our people, which is why we’re always finding new ways to invest in you. Across the UK thousands of unique minds continue to come together to help companies we work with to achieve their ambitions
We’ve got a clear purpose, and we’re confident in our future, because we’re adapting and evolving to build on our strengths, ensuring we continue to find the right combination of global reach, integrity and expertise. We shape the future together with openness and clarity, because we believe in empowering people to think creatively about how we can do things better.