NC Raleigh Regional Office
We Care. We Deliver. Our purpose is to create communities our residents are proud to call home. We currently own or manage over 70,000 units in North America and continue to grow.
Bell Partners, https://bellpartnersinc.com/overview/ a national leader in multi-family housing, our mission is to be the apartment company of choice by creating value and honoring commitments to our residents, partners, and associates.
If you are seeking a rewarding, Director-level position in Compensation, Benefits & Total Rewards, we have an exciting opportunity for you! This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Human Resources and manages and a staff of three to four professionals. The position is based in Greensboro, NC. Alternatively, this position can also be based in Raleigh, or Charlotte, NC. The Director of Compensation, Benefits & Total Rewards is responsible for designing, evaluating, and modifying compensation, benefit and total reward programs and policies to ensure programs are current, competitive and in compliance with legal requirements. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: • Manage the design and development of tools to assist employees, and guide managers, through compensation and benefit decision-making. • Identify procedures and progressive opportunities to position the company in a forefront position of the Compensation, Benefits and Total Rewards arena.
Established in 1976, Bell Partners Inc. (“Bell Partners”) is a privately held, vertically integrated apartment investment and management company focused on high-quality multifamily communities throughout the United States. Bell Partners has nearly 60,000 units under management and is one of the largest apartment renovators in the industry. The Company has around 1.500 associates and 8 offices (including its headquarters in Greensboro, NC). Bell Partners offers a comprehensive and full-service operating platform with expertise in acquisitions and dispositions, financing, property operations, construction, accounting, risk management, market research, and other related support functions.
If you are seeking a rewarding, Director-level position in Compensation, Benefits & Total Rewards, we have an exciting opportunity for you! This position reports to the Senior Vice President of Human Resources and manages a staff of three to four professionals. The position can be based in Charlotte, Greensboro, or Raleigh, NC.
The Director of Compensation, Benefits & Total Rewards is responsible for designing, evaluating, and modifying compensation, benefit, and total reward programs and policies to ensure programs are current, competitive, and in compliance with legal requirements. This position also oversees the payroll and tax reporting for Bell.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Develop, guide, and implement Bell Partners’ compensation, benefits, and total rewards program strategies.
- Monitor the effectiveness of existing benefit plans, recommending changes that provide value to associates, are within (or below) budget and are consistent with benefit trends and organizational objectives.
- Evaluate and compare existing company benefits with programs of other employers via analyzing other plans, conducting surveys, and participating in area and industry surveys. Analyze results of surveys and develop specific recommendations for review by management.
- Review benefits portfolio performance; administer plan design options; interface with brokers, carriers, and third-party administrators.
- Assist in the development and oversight of the Benefit management system (HRIS, Outsourcing) and work with providers to ensure quality performance of the system and quality service delivery for our associates.
- Develop, implement, and monitor salary compensation ranges and programs aligned with Bell’s strategy and other multifamily companies. Benchmark and review salaries annually for core positions.
- Develop educational tools that support benefits and compensation programs.
- Work closely with the Payroll, ADP, and outsource provider for tax reconciliation to ensure taxation requirements and liabilities for federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer’s social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments are met.
- Oversee payroll taxation best practices in partnership with the outsource provider.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of techniques and tools used in the Payroll field.
- Ensure cross-discipline coordination with all HR disciplines (compensation, benefits, etc.) where performance and/or pay may be impacted.
- Develop and implement best practices and key performance indicators.
- Lead the testing of new compensation and benefits processes in coordination with payroll processes in Workday. Work with team to identify and resolve Workday-related compensation and benefits issues.
- Oversee regulatory and compliance issues ensuring plans and processes remain in compliance with federal and state regulations and Bell policies.
- Manage Open Enrollment process, dependent verification process, etc.
- Monitor implementation of benefit plan changes and annual enrollment changes and processes.
- Coordinate processes for benefits administration, including medical/dental/life insurance, short-term disability (STD), long-term disability (LTD), flexible spending accounts (FSA), 401(k) plans, and FMLA/leave of absence.
- Serve as a member of the 401k Committee. Coordinate all meetings and ensure regulatory compliance.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Compensation, Benefits, and Total Rewards staff—assist with improved efficiencies and workflow processes.
- Assist in hiring, coaching, evaluating performance, and addressing disciplinary issues for a direct report(s).
Additional Functions and Responsibilities
- Additional duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of ERISA, HIPAA, COBRA, ACA, FMLA, 5500 filings, compensation, US labor law, and compliance with state and federal regulations. Some knowledge of payroll and tax reporting.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience using Workday HRIS with specific emphasis on benefits and compensation preferred.
- Strong verbal/written communication skills required, including fluency in English.
- Must have excellent analytical skills.
- Must demonstrate support of Bell Core Values.
- Must demonstrate the ability to provide exceptional customer service.
- Must demonstrate the ability to work on a team successfully.
- Must be able to communicate and understand directives orally and in writing.
- Must have superior interpersonal skills; ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful; mature, flexible.
- Must present a professional image.
- Must be resourceful and well organized.
Education and Background:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business, or related discipline required.
- CEBS certification and/or CCP designation preferred.
- Minimum 8 years of demonstrated and relevant HR/benefits/payroll experience in a multi-facility organization.
Bell Partners, Inc. (“BPI” or the “Company”) is an equal employment opportunity employer. BPI’s policy is not to discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy, military/veteran status, marital status, genetic information, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws. BPI also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories. It is BPI’s policy to comply with all applicable state and federal laws respecting consideration of unemployment status in making hiring decisions.
Note to Applicants: Smoking is prohibited in all indoor areas of Bell Partners Inc. unless designated smoking areas have been established by a particular location in accordance with applicable state and local law.