Berklee College of Music – Boston
Berklee is the preeminent institute of contemporary music and the performing arts, offering undergraduate and graduate degree programs. Dedicated to nurturing the creative and career potential of the world’s most inspired artists, Berklee’s commitment to arts education is reflected in the work of its students, faculty, and alumni—hundreds of whom have been recognized with Grammy, Tony, Oscar, and Emmy Awards.
At Berklee College of Music and Boston Conservatory at Berklee, students explore interdisciplinary approaches to music, dance, theater, film, business, healthcare, education, technology, and more. Our goal is to forge new connections among art forms, musical traditions, and technologies to build a dynamic, diverse, and collaborative global arts community.
Learn more at www.berklee.edu.
The HR Generalist is an integral member of the HR team in supporting and collaborating with HR colleagues to execute HR initiatives, programs and services that support Berklee’s strategic goals. The HR Generalist works closely with the HR Partners and compensation and benefits team to provide support to the Berklee community in the areas of recruiting, general employee relations, organizational/employee development, compensation, and policy interpretation. The HR Generalist is a key contributor to compliance and risk mitigation efforts within the department. This includes creating processes and systems to ensure full adherence to federal regulations related to I-9, CORI, FLSA, etc.
- In collaboration with Sr. HR Partners, responsible for delivering programs and services that address general employee relations, organizational/employee development and employee engagement to assigned areas
- Serve as first point of conduct for staff and faculty regarding general HR questions
- Assist hiring managers with job postings including updating job descriptions and proving guidance on Workday recruiting tasks.
- Assist with offers of employment including compensation recommendations
- Initiate HireRight and MA state CORI background checks for new hires and every three years; ensuring full compliance with our background verification policy
- Approve employee changes/actions in Workday including internal applications, data changes and terminations
- Facilitate new hire orientation and assist with new hire onboarding
- Conduct exit interviews and manage off boarding process
- Report on exit interview survey data
- Provide backup to HR Coordinator
Qualifications and Skills:
- BA/BS and/or equivalent required.
- 3-5 years professional Human Resources experience required, preferably in a generalist role.
- Culturally competent individual with experience working collaboratively in a very diverse, multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Takes initiative and works well both independently and collaboratively within a team; uses a structured approach to work that allows prioritization in an environment that can be ambiguous and fast-paced
- Quick learner who enjoys working with data and is able to apply analysis to Berklee priorities and employee satisfaction initiatives.
- Proficiency with a wide array of desktop applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint; familiarity with Macs a plus. Workday experience a plus.
- Must be able to handle numerous, detail-oriented tasks simultaneously. Must be able to work within tight deadlines.
- Self-starter who is passionate about developing HR skills and leveraging those skills to deliver exceptional service to all with whom they interact.
- Strict adherence to the highest standards of confidentiality.
- Superb interpersonal skills, including written and verbal communication.
- Sound, objective judgment and decision-making skills, ability to handle sensitive, delicate matters in a professional, discrete manner.
- Solution oriented with excellent problem-solving skills.
- This position may provide an opportunity for limited remote work.
Benefits & Perks:
- Medical & Dental Insurance plans
- 403(b) Retirement plan
- Health Savings Account (HSA) and Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Pre-tax Commuting plan
- Professional Development for Staff and Faculty
- Generous paid time off (PTO)
- …and many more
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Equal Employment Opportunity at Berklee:
We support an inclusive workplace where everyone excels based on personal merit, qualifications, experience, ability, and job performance. Berklee affirms that inequality is detrimental to our faculty, staff, students, and the communities we serve. Our goal is to make lasting change through our actions. Berklee is committed to providing fair and equitable consideration of all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, age, national origin, place of birth, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or status as a member of the armed forces or veteran of the armed forces, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
As part of this commitment, Berklee will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact the Human Resources Team at [email protected] or call 617-747-2375.
Berklee is committed to increasing the diversity of our institution, community, and the curriculum. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths in this area.
*Currently enrolled Berklee students are not permitted to apply for staff or faculty positions.*