The Internal Controls Manager will report to the Internal Controls, Sr. Manager and will play a key role in managing the Company’s compliance program relating to Internal Controls over Financial Reporting (ICFR). This role will partner closely with Accounting, FP&A, Legal, Information Technology and Teammate Services to help ensure that the company remains in compliance with its financial reporting controls and that Business Process and Digital internal controls are designed and operating effectively.
Role and Responsibilities
- Manage/perform various annual and quarterly internal control audit procedures across operations
- Support/drive quality control in the execution of internal control audit procedures by assisting with: (i) planning, scoping, testing and ensuring deliverables are within budget and timelines, (ii) identifying and defining gaps/risks/issues on a timely basis, (iii) maintaining internal control process and procedure documentation, (iv) preparing ICFR audit work papers and substantiating conclusions with respect to control findings, (v) developing recommendations to remediate control deficiencies and improve controls and procedures, and discussing/communicating recommendations with appropriate levels of management, and (vi) ensuring professional standards, U.S. GAAP and international standards are adhered to
- Lead the process for internal controls review process
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives to mitigate/manage risks while reducing overall ICFR compliance costs
- Partner with functional business areas to analyze and determine the impact to internal controls as we implement new accounting standards, new systems applications, or process improvements
- Work collaboratively with business and process owners to implement and monitor remediation efforts that result from internal control assessments, ensuring the effective implementation of corrective action.
- Assist with management of co-sourced consultants supporting internal control compliance program
- Support timely coordination with consultants and external auditors on ICFR/statutory audits and ensure internal control information is updated and easily accessible by the consultants and external audit teams
- Deliver adequate and timely reporting on the internal control framework and control deficiencies to ensure appropriate communication, escalation to business partners and senior leadership
- Actively seek standardization and automation, apply/ implement best practices for managing internal controls and deploy innovative technology where possible to enhance and continuously improve the design and operating effectiveness of controls, documentation assessment and review procedures
- Develop and conduct adequate training and prepare related information material on the internal control objectives, approach, and methodology to business partners on a regular basis to build knowledge and understanding of risks and control
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Minimum requirement: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related discipline
- 5+ years with progressively increasing responsibilities in financial reporting, external auditing, internal auditing, and/or internal control related experiences
- Experience working for a Big 4 public accounting firm or consulting firm specializing in audit / assurance / internal control testing preferred
- Relevant professional certification is a plus
- Strong knowledge of:
- Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) Section 404, and COSO Internal Controls Framework, risk assessment practices; Internal Controls over Financial Reporting
- SSAE 16/18 review requirements
- U.S. GAAP; international Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) and compliance
- Demonstrated ability to partner with cross-functional teams, developing policy and strategy to identify and enhance an already effective internal controls program
- Strong analytical skills with proven ability to strategize solutions and solve problems
- Excellent project management skills: proactive, responsive, takes ownership and accountability, drives processes, meets timelines and critical deadlines, and adheres to budgets.
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, build and cultivate strong relationships across all levels of the organization
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, willing to “Roll-up your sleeves” to drive and deliver results and improve processes
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, multi-functional team environment while having a proactive mindset and collaborative work style
- Strong MS Office skills required, including proficiency in Excel, SharePoint, and PowerPoint. Experience with Workday a plus.
- Experience with various tools used to project manage internal control testing, evaluation and dashboards updates on status and progress. Experience with audit analytical tools a plus.
- A desire to be part of a high-growth, transformational company that is Bold, Relentless, Curious, and Collaborative.