Corporate – Richmond
8901 – Corp Office West Crk – 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job
The Senior Coordinator will act as a key member of the Payroll department, ensuring that over 25,000 associates in over 41 states are paid timely and accurately. The ideal candidate must have a customer-first mindset as they are the primary point of contact for our associates in handling complex payroll issues, while proactively identifying and resolving potential problems. This position requires significant collaboration & communication, both written & verbal, with key business partners such as: Compensation, Human Resources, Benefits, Field leadership, Technology and third-party service providers. A qualified candidate must be able to work in a dynamic, high volume, fast-paced environment where they can showcase their ability to multi-task and achieve daily goals.
What you will do – Essential Responsibilities
- Process data entry for multi-state payroll under strict deadlines while ensuring all entries and system outputs are in compliance with all state and federal laws. Including the following payroll related functions that support the business such as audits, peer reviews, tax and pay calculations, taxation of gifts, prizes, bonus payments and commissions, as well as any additional tasks relating to payroll processing and reporting requirements.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for internal and external payroll inquiries – contact methods include email, phone and ServiceNow.
- Analyze and process off-cycle pay, special payments, adjustments and reversals.
- Determine root cause of payroll errors by collecting and analyzing information under strict deadlines.
- Proactively ensure all errors and issues are being resolved within the Payroll’s department targeted service level.
- Calculate, process, and record overpayment repayments.
- Assist with the development of payroll policy and procedures, contingency plans and process improvement initiatives by leveraging existing tools and processes.
- Identify and implement process improvements to enhance accuracy and efficiency.
Purpose of the role
The individual who is selected for this role will exude the four pillars of CarMax’s Values; Do the Right Thing, Put People First, Win Together, and Go for Greatness. The candidate must serve as a leader of change among their peers and advocate for what is best in the interest of the associates and CarMax. They will be required to analyze information to solve complex problems both collaboratively and independently. The chosen candidate must be open to change and feedback to improve and innovate in line with CarMax Values.
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven self-starter capable of delivering exceptional results focus, problem solving skills, and attention to detail all with limited supervision.
- Ability to motivate and collaborate with peers, including gaining buy-in to do the right thing for the right reason.
- High degree of discretion, professionalism, demonstrating integrity, and respect for confidentiality.
- Prioritizes customer service over non-customer tasks.
- High accountability, makes and follows through on commitments.
- Proven ability to work through complex tasks in a changing environment, considers impact of decisions all in a responsive manner and does so quickly if needed.
- Proven ability to communicate messages both written and verbally to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability to provide “win-win” solutions while resolving escalated issues in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with the focus of serving the customer.
Education and/or Experience
- At least 4+ years of business experience, including 2+ years of payroll, accounting or finance experience.
- Certified Payroll Professional or Fundamental Payroll Certification preferred.
- Experience with payroll compliance, payroll taxes, and understanding of state and federal labor laws preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (e.g., Word, Excel and PowerPoint) preferred.
- Workday experience a plus.
- Kronos experience a plus.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant’s request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.