Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and potentially, part-time work.
- We believe an inclusive, diverse and barrier-free work environment makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and offer a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement and a variety of in-house learning and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, RSU’s (job level specific) and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer unlimited paid time off!
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
How You Will Contribute:
Reporting to the Senior Director, Total Rewards, as the Senior Advisor, Compensation, you will develop and manage strategy for Ciena’s Compensation programs while also supporting the execution and communication of compensation programs across key functional and geographic business clients. As a subject matter expert, you will provide rewards insights and direction across assigned business segments, integrating insights from the external market, knowledge of the business, and bridging with other People & Culture programs and initiatives.
- You will be accountable for has hands-on global incentive, equity, and salary plan design and administration.
- In collaboration with the People & Culture team, regional leaders, and Total Rewards team, you’ll define and communicate global total rewards strategies and support the Vice President, Global Total Rewards, in the development and delivery of total rewards objectives.
- You will develop and deploy global compensation strategy, including analysis and recommendation of annual salary increase budget, management of compensation planning processes, forecasting equity utilization, benchmarking and recommendation on equity guidelines.
- You will conduct detailed, thorough, broad and narrow analyses as required, in support of effective compensation decision making.
- You’ll play the role of a Compensation subject matter, providing counsel relative to the day-to-day delivery of the regional people strategy and coaching and educating relative to Ciena’s compensation strategies, philosophies, principles and programs.
- You will partner with People & Culture business partners and business leaders to recommend, design and implement changes to compensation plans and salary structures and optimize Workday from a compensation perspective.
- You’ll play a critical role in defining Ciena’s Job Architecture by collaborating to define and assess jobs and job families.
- You will undertake due diligence and integration of acquisitions by seamlessly migrating compensation programs.
- In conjunction with other Total Reward team members, ensure that Ciena presents a robust and competitive reward portfolio to current and potential employees that supports the successful attraction, retention, and motivation of key talent.
- You will be responsible for maintaining global compliance on Compensation, including Pay Equity.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Initiative – You’re a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive deadlines.
- Customer focus – what’s important to the customer is equally important to you. You make addressing/solving issues a priority.
- The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- Relationship Builder – you possess the ability to build trusted internal and external relationships quickly and influence thinking.
- Agility – you are readily able to manage competing and ever-changing priorities under often stressful circumstances, prioritizing deliverables based on the company’s business objectives.
- Communication expertise – you can effectively tailor a message/articulate a point of view to an audience to enable engagement and understanding at all levels of an organization.
- Problem Solver – quickly able to understand/analyze an issue and propose an ideal solution.
- Strategic thinking – you readily understand and can appropriately balance legal and business objectives.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts, MBA preferred.
- 10 years experience managing compensation globally, including recognition programs, benefits, and mobility, preferably in a fast-paced technology environment.
- Proven analytical skills coupled with the ability to use data to support analysis, drive recommendations and resolve issues.
- Extensive experience conducting compensation research, identifying trends, and determining/ applying best practices.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Knowledge of Workday.
- Human Resources experience in areas other than Compensation.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.