About Our Job
Employment Requirement: City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A for additional information.
Denver’s Department of Transportation and Infrastructure (DOTI), through its employees, enhances the quality of life in Denver by efficiently delivering effective, high quality, safe and equitable public infrastructure, and services. We employ a culture of safety throughout the department to strengthen workplace health and organizational performance. For more information, please visit the DOTI Website
DOTI’s Commitment to Equity:
- DOTI is committed to providing attention and resources to the areas, assets, and people of the city with the greatest need. Through equitable contracting, equitable investments, and equitable workforce development.
- DOTI’s culture revolves around four key principles: (1) Invest in Our People, (2) Operate with Discipline, (3) Use Data to Drive Decisions, and (4) Deliver Results.
DOTI’s Wastewater Division has an opening for a Senior Accountant. Job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Monitors and tracks revenue, analyzes financial performance, prepares financial reports, forecasts expenditures, guides management in fiscal compliance and analytical planning, and anticipates potential problems.
- Prepares customized accounting reports, spreadsheets, and financial statements, researches, and compiles data, creates quarterly and annual reports, and assists client groups with data submissions and compliance reporting.
- Reconciles complex discrepancies regarding journal and accounting transactions, reviews, researches, and analyzes reporting errors, creates reports and compiles supporting documents for corrections within accounting systems, and guides management through corrective actions.
- Performs complex audits of financial records and transactions, reviews and matches records and statements to ensure accuracy within accounting systems, identifies and researches discrepancies, resolves or makes recommendations for corrective actions, creates audit reports, and works with external auditors to support annual audit process.
- Collaborates with Senior Capital Asset Accountant to oversee and maintain the DOTI inventory master list, identifies and records capital assets such as equipment, vehicles, structures, and retail concessions, ensures physical descriptions match records, compiles supporting documentation, and ensures assets are properly depreciated within accounting systems.
- Develop, monitor, and strengthen controls to ensure compliance with applicable accounting standards and policies.
- Ensures compliance and maintains fiscal accountability regarding rules, regulations, standards, policies, and procedures in accordance with GAAP.
- Create and maintain workpapers, schedules, and reports to provide documentation to support decisions and conclusions.
- Work with a variety of systems and reports and use tools like Excel and PowerBI to analyze and research large data sets
- Develop and monitor performance metrics.
- Other duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Degree in Accounting
- Government accounting experience
- Workday Financials experience
- Strong Microsoft Excel and/or PowerBI skills. Experience working with and analyzing large data sets
- Ability to effectively utilize the Microsoft Suite of products including, but not limited to Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Access
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and written
- CPA certification
We realize your time is valuable so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education requirement: Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- Experience Requirement: Three (3) years of professional level accounting experience reconciling accounting discrepancies, analyzing expenditures, and preparing financial reports.
- Education/Experience Equivalency: No substitution of experience for education is permitted.
- Additional appropriate education may be substituted for experience requirements.
*To be considered for this position please attach a resume and cover letter*
About Everything Else
CV2021 Accountant Senior
To view the full job profile including position specifications, physical demands, and probationary period, click here.
Position Salary Range
$61,263.00 – $101,084.00
Based on education and experience
Dept of Transportation & Infrastructure
The City and County of Denver provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, or any other status protected under federal, state, and/or local law.