Chennai – Unit 1
The People Services Expert – Payroll, will form part of the Payroll team in the Finance Shared Service Centre in Chennai. Reporting to the Payroll Lead, you will work as part of the Finance Shared Service team to provide a customer focused, accurate and efficient UK Payroll service, dealing HR transactions, payroll transactions and 2nd line complex queries and escalation. You will perform reconciliation and pre-BACS checks, manage and act as subject matter experts for on-line payslips / P11D’s, oversee UK statutory forms and cyclical actions (P45s, P60s, P11Ds, etc). This role will work to support complex compensation and benefits queries and transactions, support routine, ad-hoc, analytics and statutory reporting and lifecycle queries and transactions during high volume periods.
People Services established in Chennai delivers technology driven HR and payroll data administration, reporting and advisory services for Equiniti managers in the UK.
They will provide an exciting new service proposition which delivers;
- Integration and alignment: with Equiniti Business Technology Services offering in Chennai, following the requirement to off-shore where possible, digital by design and a technology solution chosen within the existing Microsoft stack.
- Operational efficiency and quality: efficient and robust processes and controls. Stronger data integrity, allowing better decision making and further bottom line savings in areas such as absence, overtime, vacancy and pay controls.
- BPO platform: a reference site for HR and payroll BPO and the potential for additional external revenue generation.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
Successful candidate will be responsible for the following duties
Ensure to have end to end UK payroll knowledge and good understanding on the below topics
- UK statutory changes
- Tax codes processing, P45, starter declaration, P6 and P9
- Yearend activities P11d and P60
- HMRC reconciliation and payment submission
- EPS and FPS submission
- Clearing payroll errors and FPS/EPS submission errors
- Absence processing – SSP, SMP, SAP, SPP & ShPP
- EYU Submission
- P45 and payslip posting
- Maternity schedule preparation
- Negative net pay checking
- NI letter checking
- Long term leave absence checking
- HMRC P46 company car submission
- Auto Enrolment Process
- Pension report, reconciliation and payment submission
- Produce BACS reports for customers and ensure that they are signed off by the appropriate and agreed person / people and within the agree timeframes.
- Final check
- Liability payments processing
- Court order and payment processing
- Student loan process
- Manual tax and NI calculation
- Processing knowledge on inputs such as starter, leaver, leaver payments, OT, absence, court order etc
- Responsible to have 100% quality check on the process
- Deep dive on the gross to net report and identify and correct any system or human error impacting employees
- Responsible to keep refreshing the quality mechanism to enhance the process
- Identify any other reports can give more accurate result on the payroll run
- Track errors and prepare RCA
- Ensure all input is thoroughly checked in line using control measures and payrolls are calculated accurately.
- Workday system knowledge
- Need to identify the area of improvement within workday to improve the process
- Should be quick learner to learn front and back end of system
- Should be back up of all the process/activities we do
- Should be back up of TL, need to closely work with TL and have good understanding on all the reports being maintained by TL
- Track internal and external errors, initiate training as when required
Automation and Compliance
- Identify and execute the automation opportunities which helps to reduce manual effort and improve the process efficiency
- Responsible to ensure no security incidents
- Ensure compliance to GDPR
- Ensure to follow the payroll calendar and payroll checklist
Business Projects and Initiatives
- Lead new projects as a primary contact and ensure to have smooth transition
Additional responsibilities will include:
- Provide a helpful, responsive and customer friendly HR and payroll administrative and query handling service to all People Services customers, ensuring that all queries are resolved within agreed timeframes.
- Responsible for allocating the day to day work to the agents
- Responsible for identifying the area of improvement and come up with idea to reduce manual effort through automation
- Ensure all payroll and compensation queries are recorded accurately on the system and closed when resolved.
- Keep upto date with UK legislative changes and initiate training with team as required
- Ensure all the process related trackers are upto date
- Ensure SOPs are up to date and discuss any changes reporting internally or externally
- Liaise with Pensions Team and Flex Team to answer any questions to ensure the smooth running of Payroll Services.
- During busy periods of high work volumes, support People Services Associates to accurately input starters, leavers and employee master data changes.
- During busy periods of high work volumes, support the Data & Reporting Specialist in HR and Payroll reporting
- Ensure responses to all requests are done in a helpful, highly responsive, efficient and customer friendly manner.
- Ensure all Service Level Agreement (SLA) targets are met and escalate any issues or concerns to the Finance Shared Services Team Leader immediately.
- Support HR Centres of Excellence will be providing information to 3rd parties within the UK such as HMRC, CSA, Pension Providers, etc.
- Maintain up to date UK payroll skills and customer support best practice.
- If any problem occurs during processing, raise this with your Team Leader immediately.
- Provide support to your team members, especially in busy periods to ensure that overall service targets are met and workload completed.
- Work with the HR Business Partners and HR Centre of Excellence team ensuring timely exchange of information about specific HR cases, administrative support for HR cases and projects
- Support the HR Business Partners and ER Specialists with companywide HR issues, such as multiple employment tribunal claims, trade union activity and policy development.
- Ensure that information and updates from HR Centres of Expertise are passed on to the team, especially changes to UK employment law and payroll statutory obligations.
- Provide support to the People Services team and act as escalation point when necessary, providing advice to help resolve queries.
- Ensure that the work area is clean, secure and well maintained.
- Complete special projects and miscellaneous assignments as required.
- Drive continuous service improvement by suggesting ideas to improve the quality of work and the Customer Experience.
Note, statements in this Job Profile are intended to reflect, in general, the core duties and responsibilities of the position, but are not to be interpreted as totally inclusive.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
Successful candidate should demonstrate the following skills and behaviour
- First degree qualified, with a minimum of 6 years’ experience in Payroll administration.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience of HR administration and query handling.
- Proven experience and ability of processing UK payrolls accurately and on time (including ability to manually calculate net pay)
- Good understanding of UK Payroll legislation
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills.
- Excellent numeracy skills, data input accuracy and attention to detail.
- A customer focussed pragmatic and practical approach to delivering HR services to meet customer requirements. Excellent relationship building, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong judgement and decision making skills
- Good working knowledge of current UK employment legislation, UK legislative changes and application in the workplace.
- Strong awareness of regulatory bodies and their impact on HR issues, with the ability to train and coach the People Services team on application of such knowledge to case work.
- Commercially aware with strong understanding of cost implications or HR cases to the business
- Able to thrive in a highly pressurised environment, well organised with strong ability to multitask.
- Well organised, hardworking and able to work under time pressure to meet deadlines.
- At least intermediate level in MS Office suite, and adept at learning new systems and processes driven by technology. Expert level MS Excel
- Strong integrity and an appreciation of the requirement for confidentiality and the protection of data
- Commitment and enthusiasm to continuous improvement, to transform how HR is delivered at Equiniti
- Practical understanding of unionised environments, settlement agreements and employment tribunals.
- A solid understanding of restructuring, mergers and acquisitions, TUPE transfers, etc.
- Payroll / Accounting qualification
- Experience of processing UK payrolls in an outsourced payroll environment.
- Experience of using top tier HR and payroll systems, such as Workday, Microsoft Dynamics AX, SAP or Oracle.
We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships. Please note any offer of employment is subject to satisfactory pre-employment screening checks.