The Program Assistant supports the general office functions and administrative support functions of the assigned department.
Florida Gulf Coast University is committed to establishing and maintaining an inclusive working and learning environment in which students, faculty, administrators, staff, curriculum, social activities, governance, and all other aspects of the campus life reflect a diverse, multi-cultural, and international worldview.
At FGCU, we collectively stand against any individual or group that practices any form of racism, discrimination, intolerance, hate expressions, or disrespect. We are committed to preparing students to understand, live among, appreciate, and work in an inherently diverse country and world made up of people with different ethnic and racial backgrounds, religious beliefs, abilities, ages, gender identities, sexual orientations, socio-economic status, cultural traditions, family statuses, and military backgrounds. FGCU strives to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our University stronger. The University community recognizes the importance of a diverse and inclusive institution and holds these ideals as paramount for the current and future success of the institution.
We seek colleagues who promote and embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion. We encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply for this position as we believe that our University will grow and move forward through a commitment of equality for all.
Typical duties may include but are not limited to:
- Serves as a public contact for the program and answers inquiries by e-mail, mail, telephone, and in person.
- Responds to routine and moderately complex questions or issues regarding policies, procedures, and processes and ensures compliance at the unit level.
- Coordinates travel arrangements, makes reservations, and processes reimbursements.
- Prepares, reviews, and performs input of human resources documents and data.
- Maintains and updates lists, prepares mailings, and performs data entry.
- Drafts documents, correspondence, spreadsheets, contracts and reports.
- Assists with preparation of newsletters and promotional materials.
- Creates or maintains unit filing systems or workflows.
- Maintains office supply inventory, interacts with vendors, or serves as unit contact for space, equipment or facility issues.
- Updates web pages.
- Compiles fiscal information, processes fees or expenditures, and assists fiscal reporting.
- May assist in arranging or supporting events.
- Compiles information concerning the transactional processing of fees or expenditures; tracks accounts for fiscal reporting.
- Other job-related duties as assigned.
- Assists with the coordination of logistics for programs and events.
- Conducts one-on-one meetings with students regarding the processes and logistics of tracking service-learning hours toward their graduation requirement and ensures that all service-learning hours are updated in the system.
Additional Job Description
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of relevant full-time general office experience.
- Any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Experience operating a personal computer and proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook).
- Work experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience with Workday
- Experience manager aspects of databases and/or work management systems.
- Experience in community engagement and/or service-learning
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of general office procedures.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects within deadlines.
- Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail.
- Ability to operate office equipment including personal computer, copy machine, fax machine, and calculator.
- Ability to operate personal computers with proficiency and learn new applications and systems.
- Ability to work successfully as both a member of a team and independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with a diverse group of staff, faculty, students, and the community in a service-oriented environment.
- Ability to think critically and make clear, well-reasoned and timely decisions.
- Ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Ability to adapt quickly to changing situations and environments.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and accurately.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to thrive in an organization that values the diversity of its student body and workforce and actively promotes equity and inclusion.
Pay Grade: 12