JD Alexander Florida Polytechnic Main Campus
Make a difference at one of Florida’s premier institutions for education in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). Florida Polytechnic University, ranked the No. 1 public college in the region by U.S. News and World Report, offers a unique working environment that encourages faculty and staff to be part of a culture that prizes collaboration, innovation, and the willingness to go above and beyond to ensure our students and University succeed. Florida Poly offers a small campus academic environment where students form connections with their faculty and peers as they pursue high-value degrees in engineering and applied sciences.
The University is equipped with cutting-edge facilities and equipment and two award-winning, architecturally distinct academic buildings. Its evolving curriculum, designed to meet the needs of industry and provide a life-long educational foundation for students, has helped the institution grow in prominence since its opening in 2014. Florida Poly’s deliberately small classes, affordability, and outstanding graduate outcomes have helped it earn recognitions such as being named a top value school, in the top 25 nationally for affordability, and in the top five best universities in the South for tech students. Accredited by ABET and SACSCOC, Florida Poly is educating some of the brightest minds in Florida and attracting standout talent from across the nation.
JOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARY
The Data Engineering group in Information Technology Services’ DevOps Team designs, implements and deploys data solutions within the University’s business applications and data management ecosystem. The Data Architect serves as the technical lead for the Data Engineering Group.
The Data Architect has primary responsibility for the enterprise data model and the architecture of data management platforms, both cloud, and on-premises. The Architect deploys that architecture for use by integration engineers, software application engineers, and data analysts. The Architect’s work produces solutions enabling data ingestions and integrations for enterprise business applications, as well as a high-quality enterprise data solution for analytics and business intelligence.
The Architect leads all elements of the data workstream and oversees maintenance of metadata and documentation (including architecture diagrams, data catalog, etc.) for the enterprise data platforms. The Data Architect works effectively with DevOps engineers, data analysts in other departments, and functional users of business systems to gather requirements and design business-transforming solutions. The Data Architect is a hands-on role requiring solid theoretical knowledge and familiarity with industry best practices, as well as advanced skills in using specific tools and technologies to implement working solutions.
Florida Poly’s business systems architecture includes Workday ERP, Ellucian Banner SaaS ERP, Salesforce, and Blackbaud core business systems as well as forty or more associated business applications. Technologies used by the DevOps team include (but are not limited to) MS SQL Server and Azure SQL, SSIS, SSRS, Team Foundation Server (TFS), PostgreSQL, TeamDynamix iPaaS, C# with MVC, REST APIs, XML, XSLT, and Cinchy Dataware. Platform-specific tools include Workday reporting, Workday Studio, Ellucian Insights, and Ellucian Ethos.
- Data Architecture Design – Design and implement data architecture for business applications and related platforms to be deployed on key data platforms such as SQL Server, Azure SQL, and PostgreSQL, and data lake and data warehouse environments implemented on those platforms.
- Data Modeling and Design – Define data models, schemas, and structures to effectively represent data requirements and capture needed data. Ensure data models are flexible, scalable, and optimized for performance and ease of use.
- Provide technical guidance to the work of Data Engineers. Lead Data Engineers in implementing data solutions using data pipelines, transformations and orchestrations that maintain both operational and analytic data flows and integrations.
- Collaborate with Integration Architect, Integration Engineers, and Software Application Engineers to deliver holistic process and data solutions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced proficiency in SQL and scripting languages for data manipulation and transformation.
- Expertise in data modeling, database design, and data integration patterns and techniques.
- Experience across the entire spectrum of data engineering, including data stores, data pipeline and workflow orchestration, and data messaging.
- Demonstrated knowledge of industry trends and standards.
- Proven ability to learn and master new technologies quickly.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills both verbal and written and the ability to work closely with team members.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related analytical field, or equivalent experience.
- 3-5 years of data engineering experience.
- In lieu of a degree, any appropriate combination of relevant education, experience, and/or certifications may be considered.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related analytical field.
- Experience with cloud data platforms.
- Experience with providing data sources for data visualization and business intelligence tools.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute §435.04.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: This position is salary exempt. The normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.; however, occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required. Travel between campus locations may be required.
TARGET HIRING SALARY: $85,000 – $95,000, commensurate with experience.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled; however, the review of applications will commence immediately.
APPLICATION PROCESS: In addition to completing the online application, all Applicants are required to upload the following as an attachment to the application (preferably in PDF format):
- Cover Letter
- Contact information for three professional references
- LinkedIn URL if available
Florida Polytechnic University is an equal opportunity/equal access institution. It is the policy of the Board of Trustees to provide equal opportunity for employment and educational opportunities to all (including applicants for employment, employees, applicants for admission, students, and others affiliated with the University) without regard to race, color, national origin, ethnicity, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or genetic information.
FLORIDA POLY BENEFITS INFORMATION
Florida Poly qualified employees have the opportunity to take advantage of a variety of health benefits (through the State of Florida) to help meet their specific needs, as well as the needs of their family. This comprehensive coverage includes flexible spending accounts, medical and life insurance, and workers compensation.
· Health benefits are administered through People First, on behalf of the State of Florida, as pre-tax insurance plans. People First handles all new hire enrollments, coverage changes, premium administration, and dependent eligibility.
· Their Service Center is staffed Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.–6 p.m. EST, at 1-866-663-4735.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING ATTACHMENTS:
Required attachments are listed on each posting. Please be sure to attach all required documents in the Resume/CV field before continuing through the application. Once your application has been submitted, no changes may be made and additional attachments will not be considered.
An unofficial copy of the degree/transcript is acceptable during the application process. For positions requiring a degree, the official transcripts are required upon hire.
Foreign Transcript: Transcripts issued outside of the United States require a equivalency statement from a certified transcript evaluation service verifying the degree equivalency to that of an accredited institution within the USA. This report must be attached with the application and submitted by the application deadline.
All document(s) must be received on or before the closing date of the job announcements.
This position requires a background check, which may include a level II screening as required by the Florida Statute §435.04.