FHSU Main Campus (Hays, Kansas)
Job Posting Title
Accounting Specialist, Business Office
An Accounting Specialist, under the supervision of 2 Senior Accounting Specialist, handles transactional processing of university expenditures, which requires auditing transactions to ensure compliance of university, state and federal guidelines. Review transactions for tax implications such as 1099 reporting and asset tracking. Performs tasks such as processing of credit card transactions, expense reimbursements, and payments to suppliers. Responsible for accounting data transmitted to the State of Kansas. Train and assist departments with preparation of documentation for expenditures and employee time and leave entries. A successful candidate must have strong written and oral communication skills along with the ability to multitask. After the completion of 2 years experience, there will be the opportunity to be reclassified to a Senior Accounting Specialist.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Three years of related professional experience in an accounting function or a Bachelor’s Degree
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field
- Accounts Payable experience
- Experience with presenting information and trainings to groups and/or individuals
- Customer service experience
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Payroll processing experience
- Experience in secondary or post-secondary education accounting
- Workday experience
- Experience with writing procedures
Appointment Date: The start date will be determined after acceptance of an offer and successful completion of a background check.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin after the priority deadline and continue until the position has been filled.
- Weekends OFF
- Set schedule Monday through Friday
- KBOR 403B retirement plan
- Insurance includes medical, dental, vision and prescription – day one coverage
- Accrues 6.77 hours vacation and 3.7 hours sick leave per pay period
-earn up to 272 hours of paid leave per year, (176 vacation, 96 sick leave)
- State paid holidays
-New Year’s Day, MLK Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving & Christmas
- Tuition Assistance – day one eligibility
-Employee's are eligible for up to 6 free credit hours per semester.
-Spouse and dependents are also eligible
Benefits: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Provide customer support for students, faculty, and staff, who have questions or problems related to particular FHSU & state policies & procedures for expenditures.
- Review and audit transactions, and ensure that all are compliant with university, state and federal policies, procedures, and administrative requirements.
- Review transactions for tax implications such as 1099 reporting and new asset reporting
- Work within the university financial system to process, code, and post transactions accurately and in a timely manner.
- Audit and approve expense reimbursements, including travel, to university employees.
- Audit and approve credit card expenditures for all university issued procurement cards.
- Responsible for overseeing the transmission of university expenditures to the State of Kansas with financial integrations.
- Prepare and submit documentation to dispute expenses for compromised credit cards.
- Gather and prepare all required documentation for federal, state and university audits.
- Review employee time and leave entries during bi-weekly payroll processing to ensure compliance with university and federal time and leave reporting guidelines.
- Prepare and present trainings to groups and/or individuals.
Required Application Documents: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Rachel Depenbusch
Community of Hays
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant college town of approximately 20,000, located halfway between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas. The community boasts excellent recreational programs and facilities, including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, and extensive walking, running, and biking trails. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes that offer great opportunities for boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The Hays community is home to excellent Pre-K and K-12, public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, major retail outlets, a low unemployment rate, and very short commute times, the city provides a safe, welcoming, low-cost, high-quality living environment for the residents who call "Hays, America" home.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.