Los Angeles, California, USA
OVERVIEW OF THE COMPANY
Under the FOX banner, we produce and distribute content through some of the world’s leading and most valued brands, including: FOX News Media, FOX Sports, FOX Entertainment, FOX Television Stations and Tubi Media Group. We empower a diverse range of creators to imagine and develop culturally significant content, while building an organization that thrives on creative ideas, operational expertise and strategic thinking.
The Executive Director, Accounting & Finance is an integral member of the Accounting Controllership team, supporting the Fox Digital & Technology organization. This role is responsible for managing the integrity, accuracy, consistency, and completeness of the organization’s Capital Assets, including but not limited to Fixed Asset Accounting, financial reporting, internal/external audit compliance, taxation support and Capital budgeting/forecasting. This role is responsible for enforcing the company’s capitalization policies and will be required to carefully evaluate all investments and make determinations as to whether expenditures qualify as capital or not.
The Executive Director will have full ownership of the Capital financial books and records, including maintenance of general ledger and sub-ledger systems, review and approval of all journal entries, accruals, reserves/estimates, general ledger account reconciliations, Balance Sheet roll forward/flux analysis.
In addition, this role will provide leadership support during the monthly and quarterly close processes and perform various general accounting duties, including review, preparation, approval and processing of journal entries that comprise the department’s financial records, will collaborate with the General Accounting team in the preparation of support documentation needed for financial presentations and will have full ownership of all Capital Balance Sheet accounts analytics. The Director will be required to liaise and coordinate with other Accounting, Finance and Business Operation teams and will need to have a solid command/understanding of General Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
The Executive Director will be required to use independent judgment in resolving issues, work independently and strive to complete prescribed tasks timely from the qualitative and quantitative perspective without constant supervision. Additionally, the Director will lead the preparation of Capital budgets and quarterly forecasts by ensuring accuracy, completeness and timeliness of actual financial results and preparation of Capex Cash flow statements and Depreciation projections. This role reports directly to the Vice President, Accounting & Financial Operations and will be responsible for managing a team of 3 including a Director, a Manager and a Financial Analyst.
A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
Month-End Close/General Accounting
- Lead the preparation, review, and posting of journal entries for month-end close including booking of depreciation expense, accruals, asset additions/disposals, asset transfers, suspense account or other reclassifications and cloud computing amortization
- Ensure adequacy of Information gathering/research across the organization (obtain sufficient level of documentation support and approvals for transactions as deemed necessary)
- Verification of proper categorization and roll-forward of Capital Asset balances
- Responsible for all accounting aspects related to labor capitalization for internally developed software and accounting/compliance with ASU 2018-15, accounting for cloud computing implementation development costs
- Review and reconcile Balance Sheet G/L Capital accounts and analyze monthly activity, including reconciliation of cloud computing implementation /amortization accounts
- Review and reconciliation of software capitalization estimated costs vs. actual results and recording of proper adjustments as needed
- Validate the completeness and accuracy of financial information and system-generated actuals to ensure expected results are accurately reported and responsible for finalization of accounting period from the Capital Asset perspective
Financial Reporting/Analytics & Budgeting/Forecasting
- Preparation of monthly Capital spend and Depreciation analysis, compared to forecast, budget, and provide explanations on variances, including details by Operational functional areas
- Provide periodic tracking/reporting to business operations of purchase order and vendor invoicing
- Maintain a more agile historical/current capital database to streamline reporting requirements and provide for a more dynamic tool for analysis of monthly results, as well comparisons to budget and forecast and proper project tracking
- Preparation of budget/forecast analytics and presentations materials/dashboards for senior and executive management
- Preparation of monthly Capital status report and perform monthly reviews with project leads
- Full ownership and maintenance of all Capital reporting databases used for Financial Reporting
Corporate & Statutory Reporting
- Preparation of various monthly & quarterly Capital spend reports as required by Corporate, including flux analysis on balance movements from period to period, Depreciation analysis vs. Budget/Forecast, and Capex Cash Flow reporting
- Ensure and maintain the SOX audit program effectiveness, for both internal & external audit requirements
- General accounting procedures periodic testing of key controls and timely remediation of identified issues and for maintaining proper evidence documentation of compliance with such controls and procedures
- Coordinate and liaise with business operations in performing periodic asset obsolescence reviews
- Preparation of Capital related census financial information for annual reports
- Preparation of specific Capital information for annual insurance renewals purposes
- Monthly/quarterly property tax reporting & filings
- Maintain month-end closing checklist, Fixed Asset close calendar and running system control reports
- Requisition/purchase order reviews and approval
- Ongoing follow up and troubleshoot discrepancies with Business Operations team
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance
- 7+ years of accounting or similar role experience
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the aptitude to communicate with all levels of management
- Strong sense of accountability, strive for excellence, have “whatever it takes to get things done” mentality and be results oriented
- Excel in accounting functions and able to trace transactions to and from their point of origin
- Strong analytical thinking
- MS Outlook/Word/Power Point & especially Excel (Pivot Tables); Workday Financials; Oracle (SQL); Power BI
- Comfortable working with pivot tables and with working with large amounts of data
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment while multitasking with attention to detail, accuracy, and excellent follow-up
- Ability to understand the “whole picture” and reasoning behind the tasks that are performed
- Ability to work somewhat independently and be resourceful
- Ability to summarize data in a clear and concise manner while being able to articulate messaging to different stakeholders
NICE TO HAVE BUT NOT A DEALBREAKER
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with applicable law.
At FOX, we foster a culture and environment where everyone feels welcome and can thrive. We are deeply committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion, including attracting, retaining, and promoting diverse talent across our company. We live in a diverse world, with different ideas and different perspectives that come together to spark new ideas and make great things happen. That means reflecting the diversity of the world around us is critical to our company’s success. We ensure that our viewers, communities and employees feel heard, represented, and celebrated both on screen and off.
Click here to learn more about the diverse communities of people behind our brands.
Pursuant to state and local pay disclosure requirements, the pay range for this role, with final offer amount dependent on education, skills, experience, and location is: $185,000.00-204,000.00 annually for California. This role is also eligible for an annual discretionary bonus, various benefits, including medical/dental/vision, insurance, a 401(k) plan, paid time off, and other benefits in accordance with applicable plan documents. Benefits for Union represented employees will be in accordance with the applicable collective bargaining agreement.