GBH enriches people’s lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
GBH is a public media leader based in Boston. The GBH Education department is a division within GBH whose mission is to work with communities to research, develop, and distribute quality media-integrated resources to support the equitable learning and development of children and youth. We aim to achieve positive outcomes for children and young people through research-based programming and partnerships with educators, communities, and community-based organizations. In particular, we are guided by an equity compass and seek to respond to specific community needs, including communities in the development of media and educational initiatives, and represent diverse people and stories. We serve educators and learners in in-school (pre-k-12) and out-of-school (informal) settings. We are co-leads of PBS Learning Media, public media’s national, free service of digital learning resources that are typically accessed by over a million users a month.
The GBH Archives (aka MLA) establishes the policies and procedures for accessing, acquiring, intelligent controlling ,and preserving GBH’s physical media and digital production and administrative assets. The MLA also offers production organization of archival materials from projects start up to shut down, research services, rights clearances, and licenses of GBH stock footage.
Working under the supervision of the Senior Business Manager, the Business Associate processes financial and administrative transactions for the MLA and Education departments and other projects as assigned. As a business team member, the Business Associate has primary responsibility for the department’s day-to-day accounting activities, including processing purchase requisitions and department invoices, tracking budgets, and facilitating physical space and other operational needs. In addition, the Business Associate is responsible for supporting the unit’s employees with timesheets and expense support submissions, IT support, and Workday system support as needed.
Candidates for this position should be interested in financial project management and public media production. Detail- and process-oriented, with the ability to problem-solve. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cultivate productive working relationships with internal stakeholders.
Perform all department financial activities
- Timely and accurate completion of key tasks in Purchasing, Billing, and Payroll
- Work closely with suppliers/vendors and Accounting to set up suppliers as part of the Payment Automation project.
- Process all accounts payable for the department
- Work with internal staff and external producers/vendors to ensure compliance with GBH policies and funder requirements.
- Assist Business Manager with the necessary support for expense/revenue accruals and other accounting-close requirements
Act as primary contact for department/project administrative needs
- Support department with administrative tasks across time-reporting and expense-reporting and help train new hires on key administrative tasks.
- Serve as department liaison to service groups across the Foundation, such as HR, Accounting, Budget, Legal, Design, etc., and operate according to policy guidelines.
- Facilitate asset tracking using IT’s Tech Assets database. Review consistently to verify accuracy.
Assist in planning, preparing, and revising department/project budgets
- Track and review expenses on an as-needed basis for the department as assigned.
- Compile information and support the business unit in preparing the budget and financial reports.
- Participate in budget planning meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cultivate productive working relationships with internal and external clients.
- Proven ability to set priorities, manage deadlines and generate accurate and detailed reports.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Results-oriented and analytical.
- Computer fluency, especially in Excel, is required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
A minimum of two years in finance and administration
GBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve are diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, GBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment, or promotion based on race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Application Process Assistance
GBH will reasonably accommodate applicants with disabilities who need adjustments to participate in the application or interview process. To initiate an accommodation request, contact the Human Resource department by sending an email to [email protected] or by calling 617-300-2000.