Senior Accountant, Consolidation Banking– We offer a competitive benefits package!
The Company: GIA is the world’s foremost authority in gemology. GIA is a global organization with headquarters located in Carlsbad, CA. GIA in Carlsbad boasts a 17-acre ocean view campus that accommodates approximately 800 of its 3,000 total employees worldwide. It offers many competitive health and commuter benefits that promote the well-being of its employees as well as that of the environment.
The Culture: With autonomy, performance and passion, the Internal Audit department strongly collaborates across company functions to provide quality service to internal staff, external partnerships and GIA as a whole.
GIA relies on a strong set of values to create a sense of purpose – guiding and inspiring people inside and outside the organization. We strive for our students and employees to have a sense of belonging and inclusivity through our core values of integrity, teamwork, leadership, respect and results.
The Location: This position reports to the Manager of Accounting located in Carlsbad, California at our corporate headquarters. We offer a flexible work-from-home schedule, with a few days in the office per week for local candidates.
What to expect:
- Work Hours: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm, Monday to Friday – flexible start time
- We offer competitive medical, dental, vision and matching 401-K plans
- Paid vacation, sick and holidays, tuition assistance, special award (target bonus) commuter and remote/hybrid benefits.
- Global business travel opportunities to our international locations
- On-site cafe – affordable custom breakfast and lunch meals and Starbucks drinks!
- Economic friendly services – electric vehicle charging stations on-site
- Ergonomic assessments offered on-site and virtually
Responsible for providing accurate and timely financial statements on a monthly basis to the Executive Team, Department Heads, and Board of Governors, as well as, audited year-end financial statements and any other financial reports requested. This position has strong decision-making responsibilities related to the month-end procedures and is one of the technical liaisons for the Accounting and Finance department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversees consolidation responsibilities such as performing month-end account analysis and preparing reconciliations; reviewing general ledger activity; preparing, entering and posting journal entries; and any other tasks deemed necessary to facilitate the month or year-end close process.
- Reviews monthly bank account reconciliations.
- Prepares month end consolidation entries including allocation and eliminations
- Prepares management statistics for month end
- Prepares the intercompany aging report
- Prepares monthly account reconciliations.
- Maintains, records and reconciles fixed assets including the preparation of consolidated roll forward activity.
- Prepares daily cash report
- Assists in the credit card administration for all global credit cards including procurement cards
- Maintains inventory of bank tokens including requests and distribution
- Manages requests from our global banking partners as it relates to Know Your Customer (KYC) compliance, complete bank forms, questionnaires, and coordinate review with legal and tax departments.
- Assists in the annual audit and review of all bank accounts, including confirming signatories, signature groups, and limits
- Assists in the annual audit of our online global banking platform which includes review of each user access, entitlements, limits and access to each account
- Coordinate information requests for the annual year-end audit, including preparing audit schedules, reviewing items gathered for audit and independently researching questions and working with the external audit staff.
- Prepares various reports as needed for tax and financial reporting purposes
- Resolves technical problems and answers questions.
- Trains, mentors and coaches associates as well as other accounting staff.
- Tests Workday applications for upgrades and implementations.
- Leads initiatives and provide recommendations to improve internal control procedures and efficiency of the operations of all domestic business units and evaluates these operations to ensure policies and procedures are in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and ethical financial management practices.
- Other duties as assigned.
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities)
- Excellent grammar, written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create, compose, and edit written materials.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong understanding of the general ledger, month-end closing processes and year-end audit process.
- Knowledge and appreciation of key business concepts and requirements as applicable to a large academic, research, and/or laboratory facility.
- Advanced skills in Excel spreadsheets and word processing software required.
- Knowledge of project management principles, practices, techniques, and tools.
- Knowledge and understanding of business research principles, processes, and techniques.
- Strong computer skills utilizing software such as Microsoft Office Suite, e.g., MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint; and e-mail.
- Ability to process computer data and to format and generate reports.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Able to research applicable Accounting pronouncements.
- Ability to maintain and foster sensitivity and respect for a culturally diverse work environment.
- Ability to display supportive behavior and communicate positively regarding department goals and objectives.
- Ability to deal effectively with a variety of personalities to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Three to five year’s progressive accounting experience.
- CPA preferred but not required.
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- Workday system experience preferred.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT (if applicable)
- Work is performed in a designated professional office workstation and environment.
- Extensive use of office equipment to include computer, calculator, copier, fax, and other business related machines and software.
- May occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Disclaimer: This job description indicates in general terms, the type and level of work performed as well as the typical responsibilities of employees in this classification and it may be changed by management at any time. Other duties may also apply. Nothing in this job description changes the at-will employment relationship existing between the Company and its employees.