Reporting to the Director, Canada Benefits Strategy & Services, the Benefit Specialist provides expert advice and support to HRBP’s, leaders and employees on the administration of benefit, retirement, leaves and wellness. This role will be responsible for managing the day-to-day delivery of benefit, retirement and wellbeing programs including budgeting, competitive analysis, regulatory compliance, implementation, administration, and communication of programs nationally. The incumbent will be the subject matter expert in benefits policy interpretation, program design and process improvement opportunities. This role will also be responsible for ensuring that plans are administered consistently in compliance with applicable legislation and/or regulations.
- Liaison to field HR, benefit partners and people leaders regarding all aspects of benefits and retirement administration.
- Facilitates new hire benefits training and assists in development of employee education
- Thorough knowledge of legislation and principles pertaining but may not be limited to medical, dental, disability, life and AD&D insurance, retirement programs and wellness programs to with relevant federal and provincial legislation.
- Monitors trends and recommends changes to applicable contracts and programs to drive compliance, plan enhancement and process improvement.
- Participates in annual enrolment with project planning, communication, and implementation through Workday.
- Liaison with vendors regarding claims, eligibility, and ongoing service.
- Backup for leave administration and support HR and Managers on leaves and disability claims.
- Works closely with Benefit Consultants on ongoing reporting and benefits projects.
- Identifies reporting requirements to effectively audit, report financials and plan details to make informed decisions.
- Assists with establishing requirements for HRIS (Workday) system changes to support new benefit or plan options.
- Resolves employee questions and problems with adherence to benefit policies and procedures.
- Works with insurance carrier to help employees resolve claim, eligibility, plan administration.
- Collaborate with accounting department for vendor payments and retirement plan contributions.
- Create process documentations to ensure appropriate documentation and framework.
- Ability to explain and apply corporate policy, procedures, and provisions effectively.
- Effective verbal and written communications and presentation skills
- Attention to detail, excellent organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to manage time in a deadline-oriented environment
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills, including exercising tact, diplomacy and sensitivity when dealing with employees, leaders, and external stakeholders
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a team, as well as independently with minimal supervision
Education and Experience
- Community College Diploma Human Resources or related field
- Minimum two (3) year benefits, retirement and/or leave experience
- Advanced computer skills with knowledge and experience in software MS applications such as Word and Excel
- Familiarity with Workday software an asset
- Excellent interpersonal abilities in working with sensitive situations.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to deal with constant demands, deadlines and interruptions
Location: This is a hybrid position (aprox. 6 days a month) that can be located in either our Oakville office or downtown Toronto office.
Department Human Resources
Required Experience: 2-5 years of relevant experience
Required Travel: Negligible
Required Education: Associate degree (2-year degree)