At The Huntington, we believe that having a team of diverse backgrounds and voices working together will enable us to support and promote the appreciation of the humanities, the arts, and botanical science. The Huntington is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, disability, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law.
Founded in 1919, The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens is a collections-based research and educational institution open to the public, housing world-class library, art, and botanical collections. Its mission is to support research and promote education in the arts, humanities, and botanical science and to display and interpret its extraordinary resources for diverse audiences.
Here we are committed to the highest of standards in all that we do – from preserving and protecting the collections, to exhibitions, educational and scholarly programming, visitor and reader services, and beyond. Achieving excellence across these pursuits requires a diversity of perspectives, expertise, experience, and methodologies. We are better together. We believe an explicit commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion directly impacts and improves staff and audience engagement and experience.
About the Role
The Huntington’s Finance team is seeking a proactive, self-directed payroll administrator and who will be an exceptional addition to our team. The payroll administrator is responsible for the timely, accurate, and efficient semi-monthly payroll processing and reporting functions. In addition, this role will interact with internal staff and external vendors, making customer service a priority. The ideal candidate can meet strict deadlines, is dependable, and possesses strong organizational, communication, and time management skills. The ability to work in a fast-paced environment with an emphasis on accuracy and timeliness is necessary. This role reports to the AVP for Financial Affairs, Controller.
- Administer and process the semi-monthly payroll process in Workday with a keen eye for accuracy, includes oversight of settlements and timeclock administration.
- Process requests for off-cycle paychecks related to terminations.
- Ensure time clock records are accurate and complete, and that any inconsistencies or errors are resolved in a timely manner.
- Process levies and garnishments.
- Manage and track employees paid and unpaid time off.
- Review of quarterly tax reports and confirmation of tax filings.
- Process W-2 forms, which includes W-2 data review and year-end reconciliations.
- Review payroll registers during each pay period for completeness and accuracy.
- Prepare various payroll reports to assist management in managing their teams.
- Oversee payroll vendor relations and communications.
- Manage employee payroll questions and issues in a timely manner.
- Daily collaboration with the HR team on benefits, workers compensation, leave of absence, unemployment and new hires and terminations.
- Provide in-depth research and guidance on new legislative changes related to employment law and payroll administration.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, mathematics or related field is required or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of payroll administrative experience.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
- HRIS and Workday payroll experience highly preferred.
- Comprehensive understanding of tax and payroll laws, as well as employee benefits labor rules and regulations.
- Proficient with MS Office products, including Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills.
- Detail oriented, professional attitude and dependable.
- Effective planning and priority setting. Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously while working towards meeting various deadlines.
- Strong work ethic, well organized and self-motivated.
- Sound judgment and the ability to manage sensitive and confidential information with discretion.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Indoor office setting.
- Frequent use of office equipment including computer, keyboard, and mouse.
- Moderate noise levels.
We provide competitive compensation, generous benefits and perks for all eligible employees including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- 403(b) basic retirement plan and optional matching retirement plan with an outstanding employer match
- Considerable paid time off, including annual leave, sick leave, and holidays
- Commuter benefits (pre-tax income for mass transit expenses and free parking)
- Discounts for staff in The Huntington Store and restaurants
- Access to the Museums Council pass, which grants free admission to various museums and cultural institutions
- Free passes each month to welcome family and friends to visit the grounds
The Application Process
Please submit a cover letter and CV/resume as a single PDF attachment.
You will have the opportunity to submit additional documents on the “My Experience” section of the application