Graduate Student Services Specialist II
Professional & Scientific
Required Minimum Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of related experience
• Administrative experience in a STEM discipline.
• Experience working in graduate or undergraduate education.
• Experience with Workday, Salesforce, or similar enterprise software.
• Administrative experience with international student policy and compliance.
• Experience in personnel resource and budget management.
The Department of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) seeks a Graduate Student Services Specialist II to join our team of service-minded professionals supporting our outstanding graduate students as they work to become tomorrow’s leaders in science and technology.
This position will provide broad administrative support for academic and research activities related to graduate programs within the MSE Department. This includes graduate student recruiting and onboarding, registration, and course scheduling. Responding to prospective student inquiries, this role often interfaces with the Office of Admissions, the Registrar, Financial Aid, International Student Services, Human Resources, the Graduate College, and the College of Engineering. The position will support the Department's graduate program goals with limited supervision to maintain, promote, and help grow programmatic efforts. The dynamic position requires creativity, ingenuity, proactive efforts, and excellent communication and organizational skills.
The vital role also includes advising of approximately 60-70 graduate students regarding administrative program requirements, procedures, and provides guidance concerning available institutional resources, such as health and wellness services, academic support, professional development opportunities, immigration services, and family resources. The position will work closely with the Director of Graduate Education and MSE faculty members to coordinate major professor assignments, assistantship appointments, development of programs for students, examinations and thesis submission, scholarships, awards, and other program milestones.
The position maintains program records and prepares periodic reports of key program metrics. The position will serve as an administrative liaison with other departments and research units on campus, including Ames National Laboratory, promoting interdisciplinary and collaborative opportunities for our graduate students and faculty.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. on an on-going basis without sponsorship.
Examples of Duties
• Provides graduate student services and admissions support for current and potential graduate students.
• Recruits potential graduate candidates.
• Counsels and advises prospective students on how to apply for graduate program admission, scholarships, and awards.
• Monitors graduate student progress and provide guidance to support successful program completion.
• Meets with students on a variety of issues and refer students to other campus resources as needed.
• Intermediate-level position with solid professional and/or technical skills working under general supervision to achieve goals
• Applies broad, working knowledge of the principles of the field to moderately complex, difficult, and varied problems and issues
• Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action and resolve problems
• Responds to a broad range of inquiries and requests
• May provide training and/or direction to lower-level staff
• May lead projects of moderate scope and complexity.
• Provides guidance to students
Number of Months Employed Per Year:
12 Month Work Period
To apply for this position, please click on “Apply” and complete the Employment Application. Please be prepared to enter or attach the following:
1) Resume/Curriculum Vitae
2) Letter of Application/Cover Letter
If you have questions regarding this application process, please email email@example.com or call 515-294-4800 or Toll Free: 1-877-477-7485.
Why Choose ISU?
Iowa State University is committed to fostering a workplace of belonging, where diversity is celebrated and equity is a core value. Our Iowa State Employees enjoy comprehensive health and work life benefits, including medical and dental; as well as:
• Retirement benefits including defined benefit and defined contribution plans
• Generous vacation, holiday and sick time and leave plans
• Onsite childcare (Ames, Iowa)
• Life insurance and long-term disability
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Various voluntary benefits and discounts
• Employee Assistance Program
• Wellbeing program
Original Posting Date:
February 9, 2024
Posting Close Date:
February 25, 2024
Job Requisition Number: