US, NC, Chapel Hill
*This position may work remotely from any of the following US states: CO, DC, FL, GA, MD, MA, MI, MN, NY, NC, PA, SC, TX, VA, WA.
The Accounting Manager will work with the Accounts Payable Associate and Staff Accountant and support all US company accounting entries. This position will also manage revenue recognition, grant receivable, and Restricted Net Assets posting and reconciliation. In addition, this position will reconcile all US based staff payroll monthly.
The Accounting Manager reports to the Controller and is a critical member of the global Finance team managed from Chapel Hill, NC. They will be expected to collaborate with members of multiple functional units and across many of our country offices. They must be able to adapt to a continually evolving environment and thrive in an autonomous and deadline-oriented workplace.
Grant Receivables Tracking and Revenue Recognition
- Track and post grant receivables in the accounting system. Monitor and investigate delayed payments or unusual payments for proper coding and accounting treatment. Work with regional finance managers for payments received in country offices to ensure accurate reporting.
- Record revenue recognition entries for restricted and unrestricted donor awards. Investigate variances.
- Reconcile grant receivables and temporarily restricted net assets to the general ledger monthly.
General Ledger support
- Review and approve entries made by the Accounts Payable Associate and Staff Accountant (invoices, expense reports and credit card reconciliations)
- Review new supplier and associated banking setups.
- Review supplier invoices for proper coding and support
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations
- Prepare month end allocation entries and review entries prepared by the Staff Accountant
- Review month end account analysis and investigate issues as needed
- Investigate and resolve any general ledger irregularities submitted by Ipas staff in relation to donor reports
- Assist Controller with the annual audit
- Assist the Controller with the completion of the form 990
- Support Accounts Payable Associate with the completion of 1099’s
- Research and assist with the preparation of any additional tax compliance needs as they arise
- Reconcile 941’s to the general ledger quarterly
- Reconcile various state payroll tax liabilities to the general ledger and investigate variance
- Assist with the Annual 401K audit
- Provide accounting support to enhance the business decision process as needed.
- Ensure organization accounting policies, procedures, and controls are followed when working with business partners and provide support as needed.
- Participate in various departmental and cross-organizational initiatives and strive to continuously improve and enhance the automation of the accounting and financial reporting process
- With guidance, lead initiatives to proactively address problems, challenges and changes while presenting practical and creative suggestions and solutions.
- Assist the Controller with special projects as needed.
- Additional Job Description
- 5+ years in a related position
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience managing U.S. payroll in a multi-state environment
- Strong analytical skills
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel, including pivot tables
- Self-directed and highly responsive
- Detail oriented, critical thinking, and inquisitive mind
- Strong verbal and written skills
- Ability to provide accurate, timely and reliable reporting
- Experience with Workday, or other comparable ERP system
- Non-profit experience
Salary range $72,000 – $108,000 depending on skills and experience.
Ipas is strongly committed to providing a work environment that is free from all forms of harassment, discrimination, and inequity. We recruit, employ, train, promote, and compensate our personnel without regard to race, age, sex, religion, national origin, color, creed, ancestry, citizenship, caste, ethnicity, regional identity, tribal identity, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, gender identity, transgender status, sexual orientation, or any other personal characteristic protected by law or outlined by Ipas policy. Ipas acknowledges that these personal characteristics may differ in different contexts.