Birmingham AL, Chicago IL, Dallas TX
Kemper is one of the nation’s leading specialized insurers. Our success is a direct reflection of the talented and diverse people who make a positive difference in the lives of our customers every day. We believe a high-performing culture, valuable opportunities for personal development and professional challenge, and a healthy work-life balance can be highly motivating and productive. Kemper’s products and services are making a real difference to our customers, who have unique and evolving needs. By joining our team, you are helping to provide an experience to our stakeholders that delivers on our promises.
Kemper, a publicly traded, multi-billion-dollar insurance and financial services company, seeks a data-driven and experienced Accounting Operations leader to direct, improve and scale procure-to-pay, order-to-cash and record-to-report functions. The Accounting Operations leader oversees payroll, accounts payable, billing, agent services, unclaimed property and other operational areas ensuring successful day-to-day execution and longer-term strategy deployment. This role will interact with key finance and accounting stakeholders including corporate and business controllers, treasury leaders and internal audit leaders. This position will be based in Kemper’s Chicago location.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to define strategy for strengthening accounting operations to include, but not limited to:
- Leads the Finance Operations Team that is highly competent, effective, motivated and outcomes focused to deliver on assigned responsibilities an efficient and timely manner (accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll accounting, escheatment, and general accounting)
- Determines strategy to achieve intended business outcomes including the oversight and appropriate use of onshore and offshore resources to result in a scalable and high-performing team
- On-time and accurate delivery of financial operations outputs (e.g. payroll, receivable processing, payments, etc.)
- Develops business process and system improvements and support broader Finance process and automation initiatives
- Implements and executes an effective control environment
- Develops, manages and reports KPIs
- Develops, maintains, and utilizes up-to-date cross-functional process documentation
- Ensures clear communications and hand-offs with internal and external stakeholders
- Integrates new businesses as part of the M&A team
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Experience leading transformational work, including redesigning processes and building high performing teams
- At least 8 years of experience in high-performing accounting operations areas including accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll accounting
- Significant experience working with offshore teams
- Successful track record in operating an effective and robust control environment
- Strong manager with very functional organizational and administrative skills
- Effective time management and project coordination capabilities
- Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in Business Administration, Finance, or related field
- Master’s Degree in Accounting, or related field preferred; CPA a plus
REQUIRED JOB SKILLS:
- Communicates effectively and able to interface with senior finance leaders
- Strong ability to influence without authority
- Fluency in process optimization concepts and able to apply to knowledge-based activities
- Possesses a deep understanding of relevant accounting concepts
- Possesses a high degree of intellectual curiosity
- Experience with Workday, preferred
Kemper is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We are committed to supporting diversity and equality across our organization and we work diligently to maintain a workplace free from discrimination.
Kemper does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Kemper and Kemper will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.