Birmingham, Alabama, Chicago, Illinois, Dallas, Texas
Kemper is one of the nation’s leading specialized insurers. Our success is a direct reflection of the talented and diverse people who make a positive difference in the lives of our customers every day. We believe a high-performing culture, valuable opportunities for personal development and professional challenge, and a healthy work-life balance can be highly motivating and productive. Kemper’s products and services are making a real difference to our customers, who have unique and evolving needs. By joining our team, you are helping to provide an experience to our stakeholders that delivers on our promises.
Kemper, a publicly traded, multi-billion-dollar insurance and financial services company, seeks a talented and motivated professional to join its Accounting team in downtown Chicago. This is a fantastic role for a strong performer who is looking to help lead the Company’s efforts to transform the Accounting and Finance functions through maximization of process efficiency, automation of manual processes (including the use of bots), and improved speed-to-delivery. Kemper has a proven track record for developing its people for higher roles within the department as well as other functions and across its operating entities. Kemper allows leaders the opportunity to achieve their potential in a dynamic work environment that encourages critical thinking while engaging and empowering finance leaders to work outside the finance function.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leading efforts to automate various processes by developing a deep understanding of source data and end users needs, and then directing in the design, implementation and oversight of solutions
- Overseeing the team responsible for accounting work performed for the general ledger, fixed assets, employee benefits, intercompany accounts, and leases, including preparation and review of monthly journal entries and account reconciliations in Blackline
- Ensuring adherence to US GAAP and internal accounting policies while maintaining accuracy of the general ledger
- Managing and updating the corporate accounting process flows and related risks and internal controls in accordance with SOX 404 standards
- Owning key SOX financial accounting controls and interfacing with internal and external auditors as well as business leaders
- Building and analyzing management reports
- Assisting in the Company’s evaluation of technical accounting matters, including those related to complex transactions, emerging areas, and adoption of new accounting standards
- Serving as a key resource for special projects with the ability to both lead as well as provide meaningful contributions and a trusted partner and resource in in all aspects of the Company’s internal and external financial reporting processes, including SEC reporting on Form 10-Q and 10-K
- Taking an active role in managing the Accounting/Finance team from an HR perspective, including recruiting quality professionals and developing high-performing teams
- Mentoring and developing staff members to enhance skill sets and prepare them for advancement opportunities within the organization
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- BA/BS degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA is required
- 8+ years of accounting/auditing experience (public and/or private), including both GAAP and statutory insurance frameworks
- Experience with Workday Financials, Blackline and software robots is a strong plus
REQUIRED JOB SKILLS:
- Bold strategic thinker with a keen eye for improving and even transforming processes
- Engaging leader with supervisory skills
- Progressive thinking skills, a strong work ethic, and a knack for innovative solutions
- Excellent communication skills to interact with varying levels of management and professional staff
- Effective writing skills and strong attention to detail required
- Strong analytical, organizational, and time management skills
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve accounting and operational issues
- Intellectually curious, analytically strong and embracer of change
- This position is a remote role and can work from a US based home or local Kemper office.
The range for this position is $108,300 to $186,800. When determining candidate offers, we consider experience, skills, education, certifications, and geographic location among other factors. This job is eligible for an annual discretionary bonus and Kemper benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, 401k, etc.)
Kemper is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We are committed to supporting diversity and equality across our organization and we work diligently to maintain a workplace free from discrimination.
Kemper does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Kemper and Kemper will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
Kemper will never request personal information, such as your social security number or banking information, via text or email. If you receive such a message, delete it.
Kemper will never request personal information, such as your social security number or banking information, via text or email. Additionally, Kemper does not use external messaging applications like WireApp or Skype to communicate with candidates. If you receive such a message, delete it.