Kemper is one of the nation’s leading specialized insurers. Our success is a direct reflection of the talented and diverse people who make a positive difference in the lives of our customers every day. We believe a high-performing culture, valuable opportunities for personal development and professional challenge, and a healthy work-life balance can be highly motivating and productive. Kemper’s products and services are making a real difference to our customers, who have unique and evolving needs. By joining our team, you are helping to provide an experience to our stakeholders that delivers on our promises.
Kemper is a publicly-traded, multi-billion-dollar insurance and financial services company, and we are seeking a dynamic Director to join our Corporate Accounting team in downtown Chicago. This is a fantastic role for a proven leader who is looking to greatly expand their knowledge within a multi-faceted insurance company (P&C and life) that has exposure to SEC, GAAP, and statutory accounting. Kemper has a proven track record for developing its people for higher roles within the department as well as other functions and across its operating entities. We seek a detail-oriented professional to assist with a wide range of monthly, quarterly and annual accounting functions associated with Kemper’s financial reporting.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee preparation and filing of Kemper’s SEC filings (10-Q, 10-K, 8-K) and other quarterly and annual reporting as required
- Partners with Accounting, Legal, Tax, Treasury, and Investor Relations to coordinate the preparation and review of quarterly earnings materials
- Lead Accounting organization through monthly and quarterly close cycles
- Prepare Bermuda filings for reporting to BMA
- Review monthly internal financial statements prepared by staff
- Consolidate company operating information for internal and external financial reporting
- Work with internal and external auditors to provide necessary support
- Present analytical schedules, variance analyses, and provide support for internal requests
- Actively identify, lead, manage, and complete process improvement projects
- Review quarterly and annual financial statements
- Manage team of 4-6 accountants
- Additional responsibilities, as assigned
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- BA/BS degree in Accounting
- 7+ years of experience in financial reporting. Insurance / financial services experience is a plus
- 3+ years of experience managing a team
- CPA preferred
- Familiarity with US GAAP and SEC filing requirements, familiarity with statutory accounting principles is a plus
- Experience navigating a large ERP environment
- Proficiency in MS Office products – intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel
- Experience in Workday Financial Management and Workiva WDesk a strong plus
- Progressive thinking skills, a strong work ethic, and a knack for innovative solutions
- Excellent communication skills to interact with varying levels of management and professional staff
Kemper is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We are committed to supporting diversity and equality across our organization and we work diligently to maintain a workplace free from discrimination.
Kemper does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Kemper and Kemper will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.