Kemper is one of the nation’s leading specialized insurers. Our success is a direct reflection of the talented and diverse people who make a positive difference in the lives of our customers every day. We believe a high-performing culture, valuable opportunities for personal development and professional challenge, and a healthy work-life balance can be highly motivating and productive. Kemper’s products and services are making a real difference to our customers, who have unique and evolving needs. By joining our team, you are helping to provide an experience to our stakeholders that delivers on our promises.
Kemper is a publicly traded, multi-billion-dollar insurance and financial services company, and we are seeking a dynamic Senior Accountant to join our Corporate Financial Reporting team in downtown Chicago. This is a fantastic role for a driven individual contributor who is looking to greatly expand their knowledge within a multi-faceted insurance company (P&C, life, health) that has exposure to SEC, GAAP, and statutory accounting. Kemper has a proven track record for developing its people for higher roles within the department as well as other functions and across its operating entities. We seek a detail-oriented professional to assist with a wide range of monthly, quarterly and annual accounting functions associated with Kemper’s financial reporting.
- Prepare quarterly and annual Statutory financial statements to meet regulatory reporting requirements
- Advise with operational segments on accounting treatment
- Work with internal and external auditors to provide necessary support
- Present analytical schedules, variance analyses, and provide support for internal requests
- Actively identify, lead, manage, and complete process improvement projects
- Assist with state filing requirements as needed
- Additional responsibilities, as assigned
- BA/BS degree in Accounting
- 3+ years of experience in financial reporting. Insurance / financial services experience is a plus
- Familiarity with statutory accounting principles, familiarity with US GAAP and SEC filing requirements is a plus
- Experience in Workday Financial Management and Workiva a plus
- Experience navigating a large ERP environment
- Proficiency in MS Office products – intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel
- Progressive thinking skills, a strong work ethic, and a knack for innovative solutions
- Excellent communication skills to interact with varying levels of management and professional staff
- This position is a remote role and can work from a US based home.
The range for this position is $59,400 to $103,900. When determining candidate offers, we consider experience, skills, education, certifications, and geographic location among other factors. This job is also eligible for our Kemper benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, PTO, 401k, etc.)
Kemper is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, disability status or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We are committed to supporting diversity and equality across our organization and we work diligently to maintain a workplace free from discrimination.
Kemper does not accept unsolicited resumes through or from search firms or staffing agencies. All unsolicited resumes will be considered the property of Kemper and Kemper will not be obligated to pay a placement fee.
Kemper will never request personal information, such as your social security number or banking information, via text or email. Additionally, Kemper does not use external messaging applications like WireApp or Skype to communicate with candidates. If you receive such a message, delete it.