- Provides HR support to all employees at the Stickney location, including all hourly and salary positions.
- Handles all employee relations and labor relations activities at the site.
- Serves as the main contact for intake and assessment of labor and employee relations issues.
- Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations, interviews and gathers information for all employee and labor relations matters such as harassment allegations, work complaints, or other concerns; informs appropriate staff when additional investigation is required.
- Partners with the Labor Relations Manager and legal as necessary on labor relations matters.
- Drafts all employee relations related letters for the plant and maintains recordkeeping related to discipline and terminations.
- Works with the Labor Relations Manager to collect information and data to assess cost and policy implications of negotiations and disputes. This may include management and union proposals, pay scales and wages, benefits, working conditions, and other mitigating circumstances.
- Assists the Labor Relations Manager with the preparation of labor agreements, plans, policies, and documents.
- Maintains knowledge and understanding of laws and regulations related to EEO, affirmative action, collective bargaining, unions, labor relations, and human resources.
- Provides day to day performance management guidance to line management (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
- Works closely with plant management and employees to improve working relationships, build morale, increase productivity and retention.
- Provides HR Policy guidance and interpretation.
- Supports companywide HR initiatives such as performance development, engagement, training, etc.
- Conducts onboarding for all plant employees (HR Onboarding, I-9’s, E-verify, etc.).
- Works closely with corporate HR department on general HR matters (talent management, benefits, etc.).
- Maintains Workday for the location.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management or related field; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive HR responsible experience
- 3-5 years of experience working with unions
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines including compensation practices, employee relations, diversity, leadership development, HRIS, performance development, federal and state respective employment laws.
- Experience with Workday strongly preferred.
- Excellent client management and business literacy skills.
- Strong conflict management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Develop strong trusting relationships in order to gain support and achieve results.
- Effectively envision, develop, and implement new strategies to address competitive, complex business issues.
- Manage multiple conflicting priorities.
- Be flexible and available to interact with employees at all levels.
- Be self-directed and motivated.
- Take initiative to identify and anticipate internal customer needs and make recommendations for implementation.
Koppers Inc. and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other category or characteristic protected by federal law, state or local law.