Interested in a career at Langara College?
Our employees exemplify Langara’s values of excellence, collegiality, innovation and integrity. If you think this position fits your qualifications, we encourage you to apply!
Langara College is located in Vancouver, B.C.: applicants to postings must be located in BC or willing to move to BC to accept work with Langara College. Exceptions to this will be clearly outlined in the event Langara College requires work (or positions to be based) to be performed outside BC or Canada.
Current employee? Apply through Careers in your Workday account.
Portfolio Budget Advisor, Financial Planning and Analysis
Temporary (Fixed Term)
Monday, December 6 2021
End Date (if applicable):
Friday, December 6 2024
Provides financial leadership, strategic advice, assessment, and reporting to a portfolio of service departments and academic areas in the development and management of their budgets, forecast, and costing models. As the Budget lead in a client portfolio model, the Advisor works closely with directors and cost center managers to provide financial assessment and strategic advice on confidential budgetary matters. In addition, this role is responsible for the development and review of College reports, analyses, and forecasts for internal use and external Ministry compliance purposes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides financial leadership, strategic advice, assessment and reporting to a portfolio of service departments and academic areas, including resource use, expenditure patterns, budgetary targets and key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Provides advice to directors and cost center managers on confidential budgetary matters to Identify opportunities to use operational and financial resources effectively. Consultation may include, but not limited to, restructuring, cost efficiency measures, or other labour matters that require consultation with various stakeholders.
- Prepares periodic and year-end financial reports and forecasts including variance analysis for operational management and Senior Leadership.
- Develops and presents KPIs and key business drivers impacting operations.
- Trains Cost Centre Managers in the use of financial templates and other planning tools.
- Provides guidance and direction to Financial Planning Analyst and staff in junior capacity, in performing a variety of financial activities to facilitate budget management in designated academic and administrative areas. Monitors the work of junior staff and addresses escalated issues accordingly.
- Uses financial acumen to support strategic decision-making by providing advice and recommendations based on sound financial analysis.
- Plays a key role in ensuring the long term financial viability and credibility of the College by ensuring the data used in analysis is accurate and complete.
- Provides operational budget support, promoting front line accountability.
- Identifies risks, resolves issues and escalates as needed.
- Shares best practices across portfolios and build financial models to analyze scenarios incorporating various funding or costing methodologies.
- Undertakes special projects as needed to address portfolio requirements.
- Performs additional duties and participates in projects as required.
Education & Experience:
- Completion of professional accounting designation (CPA) and membership in good standing with regulatory body (CPABC).
- At least four (4) years of progressively responsible experience in financial analysis, variance reporting, forecasting and budgeting; managing a large number of cost centres or departments, preferably in a large, complex multi-union organization.
- Knowledge of financial accounting and management, control and reporting procedures, practices and policies.
- Knowledge of financial performance management, internal control systems and procedures and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Intermediate knowledge of enterprise computerized information systems used in financial and accounting applications (e.g., Workday, Adaptive Planning).
Skills & Abilities:
- Superior writing and presentation skills, with experience in development and review of business cases.
- Superior analytical skills including the ability to understand complex issues and present them in concise and meaningful ways.
- Strong computer and financial application skills including demonstrated advanced Excel skills and the ability to productively use Word and PowerPoint. Experience using Business Intelligence tools such as data warehouses.
- Customer focus, with the ability to facilitate and encourage co-operation between diverse operational groups and skill sets.
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to negotiate and persuade and tailor communications to your audience.
- Excellent organizational skills including the ability to prioritize workload to meet tight deadlines, work under pressure and multi-task.
- Critical thinking skills with the ability to work independently, without direct supervision.
To obtain the full job description, please contact our recruitment team.
$35.64 – $52.27 per hour
Admin Paygrade 08
Compensation beyond the mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employers’ Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Hours may vary according to the needs of the department.
Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide proof of educational and professional credentials noted on their resume.
We thank you for your interest in Langara College and taking the time to complete an application. Only complete applications will be reviewed. Please be advised that due to the amount of applications received, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Langara is committed to enhancing our diverse workforce.