We are a leading financial services provider committed to making decisions easier and lives better for our customers and colleagues around the world. From our environmental initiatives to our community investments, we lead with values throughout our business. To help us stand out, we help you step up, because when colleagues are healthy, respected and meaningfully challenged, we all thrive. Discover how you can grow your career, make impact and drive real change with our Winning Team today.
The AVP HR Operations for Asia is primarily responsible and accountable for the leadership, management and development of the HR Operations across Asia. He/she will be leading various HR functions including payroll, pension and benefits administration, recruitment administration, learning administration and Workday data administration to support the Manulife employees in the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, China and Japan.
The incumbent will lead the various HR Operations teams in Asia to execute HR processes and meet or exceed Service Level Agreements with the countries that they support. He/she will recommend and implement solutions to critical business problems and set clear objectives / Service Level Agreements for function heads who are responsible for the implementation of business processes on a day-to-day basis. He/she will implement HR initiatives, manage local and regional projects and work with the Global Employee Experience team, HR Partners and the Centers of Excellence (COEs) in implementing global projects to enhance employee experience and drive the digital HR transformation in Manulife.
This is a key leadership role as part of the Global Employee Experience Organization of Manulife. He/she will be focused on continuing to develop a High Performing Team to deliver the strategy and enable the organization to maximize talent resources, manage costs and gain insight into the needs for the workforce of the future required by Manulife’s global strategy. He/she needs to build the right culture to make decisions that are aligned with Manulife’s values and empower employees to build long-term careers by putting the right people in the right roles at the right time which ensures an engaged and flexible workforce.
Role and Responsibilities
The AVP HR Operations Asia will be responsible for the delivery of HR services including payroll processing, pension and benefits administration, recruitment administration, learning administration and Workday data management for all Manulife employees in Asia.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Strengthen leadership effectiveness, employee engagement and culture in the HR Operations Asia team
- Create an HR shared services culture that celebrates diversity, recognizes accomplishments and encourages innovation and continuous improvement in how we work and what services we provide
- Drive continuous improvement in engagement throughout the team by role modelling, recognizing and rewarding the desired cultural behaviors and execute on the engagement action plans for the HR Operations team
- Maintain a discipline around performance management by ensuring that goals of all employees are aligned to the global HR strategy and priorities, individual development opportunities and desired behaviors, leveraging formal and informal performance reviews to drive high performance, building talent capability by providing development opportunities, regular feedback and continuous coaching and engaging employees with career development plans and goals
- Continually improve our effectiveness by requiring collaboration within and across teams by creating an environment of openness and trust so the team can excel, leading opportunities to collaborate across teams to innovate and win and role modelling collaborative behaviors and continuing to champion the global operating model and work as one to deliver the benefits across HR and the enterprise
- Provide leadership to the HR Operations Asia organization by aligning the vision, goals and objectives of the Global Head of Employee Experience and working with the global HR teams in the development of long range and annual plans, and with the evaluation and reporting of progress on plans.
- Develop strategies and business plans to meet service level agreements & cost fit targets of Manulife
- Continuously define and build SLA’s to provide customers and partners with positive experiences when working with HR Operations
- Prepare recommendations and plans for implementation of service and procedural improvements within defined Manulife policies and strategies
- Manage existing functional stakeholders and increase NPS scores
- Promote a risk aware culture and continue to enhance the focus on compliance and risk management by sustaining payroll controls that were established in Asia as a response to audit issues and conducting and monitoring key risk controls (i.e. SOX audits, Contact Centre Audit, etc.)
Key Shared Accountabilities:
- Driving HR Risk Management and Controls in HR Operations
- Delivering key insights from HR Operations metrics to HR leaders in the Asia HR Operations team and Global Employee Experience team
- Driving Employee Engagement initiatives in HR Operations aligned with the local HR engagement plans and programs across Asia
- Strong operational management skills and people leadership
- Demonstrated ability to drive process excellence and continuous improvement
- Demonstrated ability to understand and drive transformational change
- Ability to work collaboratively with key stakeholders to influence results across HR functions
- Previous experience working an HR shared services model is an advantage
- Payroll and Benefits management
- Workday data management
- Customer service management
- HR Risk and Compliance
- Influencing & Negotiation
Key Leadership Behaviors:
- Talent Management
- Building and Leading Teams
- Motivating and Developing
- Inspiring Commitment
Key Performance Metrics:
- Increase HR process efficiencies
- Meet or exceed Net Promoter Score (NPS) target
- Meet or exceed all HR Operations SLAs
- Meet Operating Efficiency Target of HR Operations without risk exposure
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field or equivalent work experience; advanced degree in Human Resources or International Business a plus
- 10+ years of demonstrated experience leading HR specialists in payroll, benefits administration, data management and other HR operations functions.
- Cross-cultural experience gained from working in culturally diverse environments; experience working in an international organization is an advantage
- Strong expertise in business process improvements; lean & six sigma skills are an advantage
- Execution-oriented with strong focus to deliver targeted outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to create a compelling vision for the future and inspire commitment
- Ability to work in ambiguous environment and adapt to change while managing time and workload with aggressive timelines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively across cultures. Excellent written and oral communication, and executive presence
- Translates functional and business unit priorities into clear execution strategies and action plans
- Excellent people leadership ability with passion for driving teams towards high performance
- Assesses possible solutions using deep process and technical experience and uses judgement in handling escalated exceptions
- Applies industry best practices within daily work and continues to participate in professional development by reading relevant articles, networking and participating in professional HR/payroll organizations.
About Manulife and John Hancock
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Asia, Canada, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2022, we had more than 40,000 employees, over 116,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving over 34 million customers. At the end of 2022, we had $1.3 trillion (US$1.0 trillion) in assets under management and administration, including total invested assets of $0.4 trillion (US $0.3 trillion), and segregated funds net assets of $0.3 trillion (US$0.3 trillion). We trade as ‘MFC’ on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges, and under ‘945’ in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an Equal Opportunity Employer
At Manulife/John Hancock, we embrace our diversity. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention, advancement and compensation, and we administer all of our practices and programs without discrimination on the basis of race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion or religious beliefs, creed, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), sexual orientation, genetic characteristics, veteran status, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, family status, disability, or any other ground protected by applicable law.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will work with applicants who request a reasonable accommodation during the application process. All information shared during the accommodation request process will be stored and used in a manner that is consistent with applicable laws and Manulife/John Hancock policies. To request a reasonable accommodation in the application process, contact email@example.com.