Toronto – Bremner
Oliver Wyman – Sr. Human Resources Generalist – Actuarial
Location: Toronto, Canada
Oliver Wyman provides customized actuarial services and strategic insight, supporting clients as they strive to exceed their business objectives. Our exceptional client and employee retention exemplify our commitment to relationships built on trust, responsiveness, and clear communication.
The Actuarial Practice of Oliver Wyman is an operating division of the Oliver Wyman Group, a member of the Marsh & McLennan Companies (MMC), the foremost employer of actuaries in the world. The Actuarial Practice of Oliver Wyman has over 600 employees operating across 10+ offices globally.
Oliver Wyman uses mathematical and statistical modeling skills and our qualitative assessment methodologies to assist our clients in evaluating and addressing risk. Our solutions help clients to manage and prepare for the potential financial consequences of uncertain future events.
For more information, please visit our website at www.oliverwyman.com/actuaries
Senior Human Resources Generalist
Actuarial Human Resources
Director of Human Resources
The Sr. HR Generalist supports Actuarial and Oliver Wyman in planning and administering human resources activities for the Canadian offices. The Sr. Human Resources Generalist provides frontline HR support to employees and management. Responsibilities include the coordination and support of a variety of Human Resources activities, including but not limited to the assigned Region/Office. This person will assist with initiatives to help build and maintain a strong office community in an inclusive and positive office environment. Activities may include program administration, policy and procedure implementation support, payroll and benefits employee assistance, orientation, employee engagement, employee relations and recruiting.
- Provide guidance and answer questions on policy interpretation, ensure uniform and equitable application of policies and procedures.
- Administer Talent Management programs, such as leaves, rotations, and work schedules, generate and distribute appropriate documentation.
- Maintain time off tracking/reporting, and data for service awards.
- Enter Employee transactions and draft related documents for new hires, transfers, manager changes, pay changes, status/role changes and terminations. Ensure and request required approvals are obtained.
- Provide assistance to resolve payroll and benefit issues and answer general questions.
- Provide assistance for involuntary terminations including, calculating severance, creating vetting files and tracking paperwork.
- Liaise with OWA and HR leadership to set and manage expectations around recruiting process, develop
- Support administrative aspects of the Actuarial practice recruitment cycle including job postings, events on and off campus, and coordination with broader organization.
- Maximize direct sourcing of candidates through a broad range of innovative techniques.
- Identify and lead Inclusion, Diversity and Belonging (IDB) recruiting conferences and events to recruit diverse candidates and build relationships early in their careers
- Manage the campus recruiting process end-to-end for full-time hires and interns: from career center relationships, events, resume drops to on-boarding, including attending on- and off-campus recruiting events
- Manage communications with priority candidates, acting as the “face of the company” and ensuring a superior candidate experience
- Ensure recruiting databases are up to date, including both the campus systems and the applicant tracking system
- Own special projects related to recruiting process improvement as needed
Pre-Hire and Orientation
- Ensure new hires have first day logistics and details, including required paperwork and authorized work documentation.
- Organize and conduct Day 1 orientation (schedule presenters, order lunch, reserve meeting rooms).
- Coordinate with departments to address specific on boarding requirements.
- Deliver presentations that meet high quality standards.
- Process any new hire paperwork.
- Troubleshoot operational issues (such as travel, expense and IT).
Other HR Activities
- Provide guidance to employees relating to confidential matters.
- Distribute employee communications as required.
- Manage required documentation in accordance with legal and company requirements and ensures accuracy and completeness.
- Other duties as assigned, including projects related to the business or the regional HR Services team.
- Bachelor's degree
- Three plus years of human resources experience required, preferably in a professional services environment, internships considered.
- CHRP/CHRL designation or in progress would be an asset
- Bilingualism in French is required
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Proven experience in a role requiring a high degree of organizational skill, access to confidential information and a strong sense of urgency; able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks simultaneously
- Strong client-support orientation
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the firm
- Ability to effectively function in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; strong interpersonal and facilitation skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Results/solution oriented
- Ability to work in a complex and fast paced environment
- Maintains knowledge of trends and changes in Human Resources legislation, and conveys local, provincial, and federal laws where appropriate.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite including, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SharePoint
- Experience with Workday is a plus
Oliver Wyman is committed to the principles for equal employment opportunity and complies with all relevant federal, provincial, and local laws.
Marsh McLennan is committed to embracing a diverse, inclusive and flexible work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their sex/gender, marital or parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, age, background, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Marsh McLennan (NYSE: MMC) is the world’s leading professional services firm in the areas of risk, strategy and people. The Company’s 81,000 colleagues advise clients in 130 countries. With annual revenue over $19 billion, Marsh McLennan helps clients navigate an increasingly dynamic and complex environment through four market-leading businesses. Marsh advises individual and commercial clients of all sizes on insurance broking and innovative risk management solutions. Guy Carpenter develops advanced risk, reinsurance and capital strategies that help clients grow profitably and pursue emerging opportunities. Mercer delivers advice and technology-driven solutions that help organizations redefine the world of work, reshape retirement and investment outcomes, and unlock health and wellbeing for a changing workforce. Oliver Wyman serves as a critical strategic, economic and brand advisor to private sector and governmental clients. For more information, visit mmc.com, follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter or subscribe to BRINK.