It’s a great time to join Marymount University! We are looking for faculty and staff who are passionate about providing excellent service to ensure a high quality student experience and collaborative working environment.
Title Associate Vice President, Human Resources
Direct Supervisor Vice President for Finance and Operations & Treasurer
Status Full-Time, Exempt
Grade 18: Budget Range $150k – $170k
Division Financial Affairs Department Office of Human Resources
No. Direct Reports 4-6
Target Weekly Hours 40
Location 2807 N Glebe (Main Campus)
Benefits Eligibility Yes
The Associate Vice President (AVP) is responsible for the leadership and administration of the day-to-day operations of Human Resources (HR) at Marymount University. The AVP is a member of the Extended Cabinet and serves as an expert advisor to senior leaders and plays a critical role in the implementation of new HR processes and applications.
We are seeking a high-energy, service driven individual with proven excellence in developing and executing strategies for HR, including, but not limited to, recruiting, onboarding, professional development, performance management, retention and engagement, HR compliance, diversity and inclusion, benefits and compensation. Successful candidates will be hands-on, proactive, progressive, and forward-thinking in their approaches, and have a strong passion for people and process improvement. They will have a breadth of experience in HR functions, preferably with a strong acumen in recruitment, total rewards, and compensation. This work establishes, enforces, and evaluates human resources policies, processes, and best practices to enable the university to deliver an incredible employee experience.
JOB LEVEL – ASSOCIATE VICE PRESIDENT
Accountable for leading departments or major areas within a division through managers and directors. Works under broad, administrative direction with responsibility for providing strategic leadership and direction in the planning, implementing, improving, and evaluating of an administrative department and promoting operational improvements. Oversees and provides direction for budgets and operational forecasts. Makes complex, independent decisions for situations with precedent to ensure department or area within a division, objectives are met.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides executive-level leadership to the HR team and oversee the daily workflow of the department. Employs empathetic leadership and radical candor to ensure a culture of trust within the department and develop the next generation of HR leaders.
- Develops a comprehensive job and compensation structure, including classification components, pay grades, and meeting IPEDS, DOL, and other EEO and regulatory data requirements.
- Develops and implements the university’s compensation strategy, consistently monitoring for market changes and equity concerns. Uses a long-range strategic talent management approach, with specific focus on development and creating career paths.
- Actively directs and supports the university’s benefits and retirement plans, ensuring compliance and customer service needs are met.
- Functions as the expert in recruitment strategies; develops a program and trains business partners and hiring managers on best practices for ensuring a diverse and talented hiring pool.
OTHER DUTIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
- Collaborates with executive leadership to achieve the company's long-term vision and objectives through human capital.
- Promotes a credible, inclusive, and authentic approach to DEI&B (diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging).
- Ensures compliance with employment, benefits, and other laws, regulations, and requirements; minimize risk for the employees and university.
- Develops and manages the HR budget, ensuring the strategic investment of resources to meet the HR goals and objectives.
- Stays up to date on industry trends and seek professional development, inspiration, and new ideas through the involvement of associations and professional organizations.
- Provides overall leadership for Employee Relations, collaborates with managers as they provide oversight, manage conflict, and reach resolutions for employees.
- Partners with cross-functional teams to identify and address skills gaps, talent development needs, and performance improvement opportunities.
- Fosters a culture of honesty, transparency, and wellbeing while championing the University’s values.
- Serves on university committees, as appropriate.
- Complete Human Resources projects and other duties, as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
10+ years of broad human resources experience including 6 years managerial experience.
Targeting the areas of: Compensation, Total Rewards, recruitment and talent management.
Licenses or Certifications
Monitoring and preparing budgets.
Training, developing and coaching employees. Providing formal performance evaluation, hiring, disciplinary action, salary administration (determining and adjusting salaries).
Workday experience a plus. Strong leadership skills. Excellent presentation skills and strong interpersonal and organizational skills. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Microsoft professional office software (intermediate knowledge and experience).
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Marymount University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Marymount University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected bases under applicable federal and local laws and regulations in any of its programs or its activities, including employment and admission. The university also expressly prohibits any form of sex discrimination and sexual misconduct including sexual harassment, dating and domestic violence, rape, sexual assault, sexual exploitation and stalking in any of its programs or activities, including employment and admission. For more information, please visit: https://marymount.edu/student-life/health-wellness/title-ix-2/