IMPORTANT APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS:
- Upload Resume or Curriculum Vitae for automatic population of information to the application.
- The contact information, work experience, and education listed on your Resume/CV will be parsed and input into your Montclair application.
- Review information and double-check all fields containing information that the system parsed – the software is intelligent, but you need to verify that the data is accurate.
- In the “My Experience” section, you will find a Resume/CV upload option where you can submit your cover letter and all other supporting documents.
Note: If you have an expansive CV, we recommend that you apply manually and only include the positions you have held in the last ten (10) years. You will then be able to attach your Resume/CV, as well as all other supporting documentation in the “My Experience” section of your application.
Reporting to the Accounting Manager, the Senior Accountant who is a member of the General Accounting team is responsible for ensuring accurate general ledger account balances that are substantiated by the completion of monthly account analysis and reconciliations. This position is also responsible for the accounting of Financial Aid grants, gifts, and loans.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare complex general ledger account reconciliations and detailed analysis of assigned general ledger accounts.
- Review and monitor account activity to ensure accuracy, completeness, and the proper recording of transactions.
- Research and resolve discrepancies and prepare appropriate journal entries as required.
- Review reconciliations prepared and submitted by others for reasonableness. Investigate and resolve inconsistencies or errors.
- Complete accounting for Financial Aid grants, gifts, and loans.
- Work collaboratively with Finance & Treasury associates and other University departments to ensure that deposit/disbursements are recorded in the system in the period of occurrence.
- Identify and recommend improvements to financial controls and reporting; implement approved changes to existing processes.
- Prepare audit schedules and footnotes; assist with audit inquiries.
- Actively participate in or lead special projects as assigned including testing system implementations, upgrades, or enhancement; conducting financial analysis and developing ad hoc reports; and processing improvement initiatives.
- Assist in internal audits (i.e. corporate credit cards) as conducted by the Controller’s office.
- Meet deliverable deadlines.
- Assist stakeholders and requestor so they understand account balances and content. Answer account and other financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Assist the Financial Reporting area in understanding account balances by providing account fluctuation explanations.
- Resolve helpdesk tickets as first level support for general ledger inquiries.
- Provide end user training/guidance in one on one and group settings.
- Keep abreast of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as issued by the Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and the Financial Accounting Standards Board (FASB) as well as of State and Federal circulars and Internal Revenue Service rules and regulations.
- Escalate unresolved issues to the Accounting Manager and Director of General Accounting, as appropriate.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting from an accredited university or college.
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in a financial/accounting function preparing account analysis and reconciliations.
- Knowledge and experience with journal entries, financial statement preparation, and general accounting concepts including GAAP and application as issued by GASB and/or FASB.
- Excellent customer service.
- Experience with Workday or a similar ERP system.
- CPA or CPA eligible.
- Advanced Excel skills, including pivot tables.
- Experience working for a higher education institution, a large nonprofit organization.
- Experience in data mining.
- Team player with strong communication skills.
- Decision making, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Professional demeanor.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality.
PROCEDURE FOR CANDIDACY
Applicants should include a resume and cover letter describing how their background, skills and education match the needs of the University. When applying, please take a moment to carefully read and follow the steps in the application instructions.
For questions or concerns, please contact Human Resources’ Workday Recruiting Support at 973-655-5000 (Option 2), or email email@example.com.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity.
Additional information can be found on the website at
Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 Policy
Montclair State is required by Title IX and 34 C.F.R. 106 not to discriminate on the basis of sex or gender, and does not discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of education programs and activities. The requirement to not discriminate on the basis of sex or gender in the operation of education programs and activities extends to admission and employment. For further details, please visit: https://www.montclair.edu/human-resources/job-seekers/