NSC – Henderson
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or [email protected].
Nevada State College (NSC) invites applications for the position of Bursar in the area of Student Accounts and Cashiering Services. The Bursar position provides strategic leadership and oversees all facets of the daily operations of the Student Accounts and Cashiering Services Department. The position is essential to the financial stewardship of revenue generated from tuition, fees, and departmental deposits. Additionally, the position plays a critical role in the student experience by clearly and consistently communicating the costs associated with higher education and providing informative and accurate assistance to students related to the status of their accounts.
NSC supports flexible working options as outlined in the recently approved Alternative Work Arrangement Policy. This position may be eligible for an Alternative Work Arrangement. Unless stated otherwise, all positions are required Nevada residency and on-site work.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Nevada State College, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.
A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.
We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.
We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
- Provides strategic leadership and oversees all facets of the daily operations of the Student Accounts and Cashiering Services Department. Monitors the team’s core functional efforts and proactively addresses workflow and work distribution. Creates new business processes or enhancements to existing processes to increase productivity.
- Recruits, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates all staff members. Supports professional development for the department as a whole, as well as development of individual team members.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining a well-functioning student information system (SIS) that contains essential integrations with the College’s ERP system. This responsibility includes implementing and testing software upgrades, ensuring programming and rules have been correctly established, and coordinating processes and programs to create efficient interfaces between PeopleSoft (the SIS) and Workday (the Financial ERP).Administers and measures compliance with federal and state regulations, the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) Board of Regents Handbook and NSHE Procedures and Guidelines Manual, institutional policies, procedures, and guidelines, generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), and student accounting and cashiering best practices. Develops, implements, and executes institutional policies and procedures that directly affect student accounts receivables, refunds, third-party billing, payment plans, and collections.
- Ensures the timely and accurate: assessment and collection of all tuition, fees, housing, and other approved departmental charges; disbursement of financial aid and student refunds; and custodianship and processing of departmental deposits and third-party payments.
- Prepares monthly accounts receivable reconciliation. Reviews outstanding receivables, including unbilled third-party accounts receivables, and executes methods for resolution of uncollectible/unbilled accounts.
- Provides financial counseling to parents and students regarding payment options and payment plans with authority to negotiate special arrangements. Resolves problems and questions with students or parents regarding student finances in escalated or special situations.
- Leads communication efforts with students, parents, faculty, and staff by sharing important information, requirements, deadlines, and procedures through the departmental webpage, texts, emails, and written correspondence.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, management, or related field
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in accounting or cashiering office
- Minimum of one (1) year of supervisory experience
- Knowledge of accounting and accounts receivable principles, methodology, and practices
- Knowledge of cashiering and cash management principles, systems, procedures, and standards
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures and the ability to model and establish the standards for excellence in customer service for the department
- Excellent and effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed and effective problem-solving and mediation skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Ability to motivate and mentor staff and to foster a cooperative, teamwork environment within the department
- Ability to work in a positive manner with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
- Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, higher education, or related field
- Knowledge and working experience with higher education student, financial, and billing/payment systems
- Specific knowledge and working experience with the Student Financials Model of the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions software
- Specific knowledge and working experience with Workday Financial Management enterprise resource planning (ERP)
- Proficiency with PivotTables and VLOOKUP in Excel
Salary & Benefits
Budgeted salary for this position is $83,000. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.50% retirement match, 24 annual leave days, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and the choice of three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type “Find Jobs” in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please note, once you submit your application the only attachment(s) viewable to you will be the attachment(s) to the resume/CV section of the application. Any additional required attachment(s) to the cover letter, references, additional documents sections of the application, will not be viewable to you after you submit your application. All uploaded attachment(s) will be on the application for the committee to review. To request updates to attachments, prior to the committee review of applications, please contact the candidate helpdesk at [email protected].
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Cover Letter indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
- Names and contact information of three references (you will be notified before references are contacted).
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.