NSC – Henderson
Nevada State College (NSC) appreciates your interest in employment. To ensure your application process runs smoothly, we ask that you keep in mind the following when completing your application:
The required documents are listed below on the posting. Your application may not be considered if you do not attach the required documents.
Draft applications are saved automatically and can be accessed through your candidate home account. Completed applications must be submitted prior to the close of the recruitment. Once a recruitment has closed, applications will no longer be accepted.
Please note, recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
If you need assistance or have questions regarding the application process, please contact the Human Resources department at (702) 992-2320 or [email protected].
Nevada State College (NSC) invites applications for the position of Director of Accounting Services/Controller. The Director/Controller position leads the accounting services functions of the College, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, travel, general accounting, and financial accounting. The position safeguards institutional resources and provides critical accounting services and operational support to the institution. Additionally, Student Accounts and Cashiering Services, which includes student accounting and accounts receivable, reports to Accounting Services.
Diversity and Inclusion Statement:
Nevada State College, a four-year Minority Serving public institution with a statewide mission, is dedicated to excellence in teaching and learning and committed to the advancement of a diverse and largely under-served student population. Designated a Hispanic Serving (HSI) and Asian American Native American Pacific Islander Institution (AANAPI), NSC is a college where teaching and student support are valued above all else.
A majority of our students are first generation, racial/ethnic minorities, parents, and/or returning students, of which 45% are Hispanic, 14% are Asian/Pacific Islander, 9% are Black/African American, 24% are White, and 9% are multiracial.
We celebrate the storied backgrounds of our campus community. We operate with a shared commitment to represent and serve the diverse population of Nevada and to encourage the exchange of ideas that respects and honors the lived experiences of our students, staff, and faculty. We foster a culture of inclusive excellence so our members can live authentically, fully engage, and flourish. In order to strengthen the college and progress its mission, the college dedicates itself to intentional and ongoing reflection to meeting the evolving needs of NSC, the surrounding communities, and the State of Nevada.
We seek applicants who are passionate about working with this promising student population and collaborating with faculty and staff across departments to make a lasting impact in developing our institution and our community.
We encourage you to highlight your background in fostering an inclusive campus culture and supporting the success of students who are historically underrepresented in higher education.
- Leads, motivates, trains, and supports the Accounting Services and Student Accounts and Cashiering Services team members
- Responsible for the Accounts Payable area of Accounting Services, which includes the processing of internal financial accounting transactions, establishment of petty cash funds, processing payments to vendors for goods and services, and reimbursement of expenses
- Responsible for the Accounts Receivable area of Accounting Services, which includes the processing and monitoring of incoming payments, securing revenue by verifying and posting receipts, and reconciling the accounts receivable ledger to ensure all payments are accounted for and properly posted
- Responsible for the Travel area of Accounting Services, which includes assisting and reimbursing employees who travel on behalf of the College
- Responsible for the General Accounting area of Accounting Services, which includes banking services, banking reconciliation, and expense/fund transfers
- Responsible for the Financial Accounting area of Accounting Services, which includes preparing the annual financial statements, serving as the College’s point of contact for all audits, and preparing and reporting the institution’s financial data for IPEDS
- Develops and administers financial plans, policies, procedures, guidelines, and business processes in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles, governmental accounting standards, and federal, state, and Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) financial policies and procedures
- Takes the lead role in developing training materials for College account managers related to Accounting Services functions and Workday business processes
- Master’s degree in accounting, business administration, finance, management, higher education, or related field
- Minimum of five years of progressive accounting experience
- Minimum of three years of supervisory experience
- Working knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), government accounting standards and regulations, and higher education best practices
- Knowledge and working experience with financial, student, and billing/payment systems
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures and the ability to model and establish the standards for excellence in customer service for the department
- Excellent and effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed and effective problem-solving skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, including proficiency with PivotTables and VLOOKUP in Excel
- Ability to motivate and mentor staff and to foster a cooperative, teamwork environment within the department
- Ability to work in a positive manner with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Eligibility to work in the United States without sponsorship (NSC does not sponsor employment-related visas)
Please note: Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications at the time of application in order to be considered for the position.
Due to the current health and safety emergency declaration, anyone hired must receive a complete (and verified) COVID-19 vaccination series or an approved medical or religious waiver request as a term and condition of employment prior to any start date at any Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE) institution.
- A minimum of three years (of the five years of progressive accounting experience) in higher education
- Certified Public Account (CPA) License or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) Certification
- Specific knowledge and working experience with Workday Financial Management enterprise resource planning (ERP)
Salary & Benefits
Budgeted salary range for this position is $96,000 -$100,000. Nevada State College offers excellent benefits, including 15.50% retirement match, 24 annual leave days, beginning balance of 30 sick leave days, 11 paid holidays, educational benefits, and the choice of three health insurance plans that can be supplemented with flexible spending accounts or health savings accounts.
This Posting is Open Until Filled
Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately. Lists of eligible candidates will be established and hiring may occur early in the recruiting process. Recruitment will close without notice when a hiring decision has been made.
Special Instructions for Internal NSHE Applicants
NSC employees or employees within the Nevada System of Higher Education (NSHE, UNLV, UNR, NSC, CSN, TMCC, WNC, GBC, or DRI) MUST use the “Find Jobs” process within Workday to find and apply for jobs at NSC and other NSHE Institutions. Once you log into Workday, type “Find Jobs” in the search box which will navigate to the internal job posting site.
If you complete an application outside of the internal application process, your application will be returned and you will have to reapply as an internal applicant which may delay your application.
Please note, once you submit your application the only attachment(s) viewable to you will be the attachment(s) to the resume/CV section of the application. Any additional required attachment(s) to the cover letter, references, additional documents sections of the application, will not be viewable to you after you submit your application. All uploaded attachment(s) will be on the application for the committee to review. To request updates to attachments, prior to the committee review of applications, please contact the candidate helpdesk at [email protected].
Please upload the following documents:
- Detailed resume listing relevant qualifications and experience;
- Cover Letter indicating why you are a good fit for the position and Nevada State College;
- Names and contact information of three references (you will be notified before references are contacted).
Applications that do not include the required uploaded documents may not be considered.
Posting Close Date
Note to Applicant
Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualifications in their cover letter. The search committee will use this information during the initial review of application materials.
References will be contacted at the appropriate phase of the recruitment process.
This position may require a criminal background check to be conducted on the candidate(s) selected for hire.
As part of the hiring process, applicants for positions in the Nevada System of Higher Education may be required to demonstrate the ability to perform job-related tasks.
Nevada State College does not currently sponsor Visas, all applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without sponsorship.