Purpose and Job Summary
The Payroll Manager leads all payroll activities for the company and is a key resource on the HR Solutions and Services team supporting the organization with project-specific initiatives, including data analysis, implementation, and streamlining while and designing solutions and procedures to enhance the employee experience.
The Payroll Manager is a professional position that performs diverse duties of a complex and specialized nature and will be assigned to manage and/or monitor the work produced by other employees.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage payroll team to ensure the accurate, timely processing of multistate payrolls in compliance with Company’s policies and with federal, state, and local tax regulations
- Responsible for the timely reporting and processing of payroll taxes, garnishments, and payroll general ledger reconciliations.
- Provide subject matter expertise, counsel, and support with respect to payroll-related matters, new and existing payroll requirements.
- Research, analyze, and make recommendations for policy and process enhancements that lead to increased efficiencies and opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Partner effectively with other functions to ensure the appropriate flow of data and reporting.
- Manage the business traveler tax program
- Oversee verification of employment services provided to outside parties, including current or former employees, prospective employers of current or former employees, governmental agencies, financial or lending institutions, etc., in accordance with departmental policy.
- Participates in due diligence efforts as well as payroll and timekeeping implementation activities in connection with mergers and acquisitions.
- Responsible for payroll vendor relationships ensuring strong partnerships and mutual accountability.
- Plan, manage and ensure execution of day-to-day expatriate payroll administration.
- Coordinate internal and external audits for the Payroll function
- Analyze and make recommendations to existing technologies and supporting processes to drive continuous improvement and change initiatives.
- Maintain the confidentiality and security of data accessed during the course of daily activities.
This position has frequent contact with all levels of employees and managers. This position also has external contact with new and potential clients, vendors, and consultants.
Education, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred from an accredited four-year university, preferably in accounting, human resources management, business administration, finance, or related field
- A minimum of seven (7) years of payroll experience in a fast-paced corporate environment with multistate payrolls
- Demonstrated experience running full-cycle payroll in Workday HRIS required
- Demonstrated management skills in leading, coaching, developing, and training a team of direct reports
- Advanced knowledge in the following areas of Payroll; processing, corrections, FLSA, OT, taxes (multi-state and reciprocity), employee payroll tax maintenance, expats, non-health and welfare deductions, gross-to-net calculations, taxable fringe benefit, year-end W-2s, W-2cs, and other related payroll tax tasks
- Intermediate business math skills; Advanced skills in all MS Office and Windows applications, in addition to a familiarity with human resources information systems, especially Workday integrated products
- Ability to use query tools to access data and create reports
- Ability to access multiple human resources and payroll data tables to extract specific data for reporting purposes;
- Highly developed analytical skills; Knowledge of research and statistical methods applicable to human resources management and reporting.
- Keen attention to detail
- Knowledge of multiple state and federal employment laws
- Knowledge of best practice human resources policies and procedures
- Solid business acumen with focus/involvement in innovative and continuous process improvement activities; Ability to define issues, collect and analyze pertinent data, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, draw valid conclusions, propose sound recommendations, and implement an approved solution in support of specified goals
- Excellent organizational, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills with success as an approachable and influential advisor at all levels of an organization;
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize assignments, and to meet critical and established deadlines; Ability to manage multiple assignments simultaneously; Ability to communicate with technical and non-technical staff, and to explain complex matters in clear and simple terms understandable to non-technical employees and staff.
- Ability to learn quickly and demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a high-performing team; flexibility and ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines and constant interruptions; Ability to adjust priorities in a rapidly changing environment
- Minimal travel
ORIX Corporation USA and its affiliates (“ORIX Group USA”) strive to achieve as safe an office environment as possible for employees. Accordingly, ORIX Group USA would like to see our vaccination rates against COVID-19 as close to 100% as possible. As of October 4, 2021, employees of any ORIX Group USA company are required to submit proof of vaccination in order to access any of the Company’s offices, unless they have an approved medical or religious exemption. In Texas, in accordance with state law, employees will not be compelled to be vaccinated if they object for any reason of personal conscience, based on a religious belief, or for medical reasons, including prior recovery from COVID-19. Should you receive an offer of employment, more information about how to submit proof of vaccination or an exemption request will be provided. Please note that for most roles, ORIX Group USA’s expectation is that the majority of employees will need to come into the office more often than not, and that some employees need to come in full-time. In other words, as a condition of employment, you should expect that if you accept a position at ORIX Group USA you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 before your start date, or request and receive an approved exemption shortly thereafter.
ORIX USA is an equal opportunity employer, providing equal employment opportunities (EEO), and is committed to diversifying its workforce. All employees and applicants for employment will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetics, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, protected veteran status or other status protected by law. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.