Point Loma Campus – San Diego, CA
PLNU is a Christian liberal arts university in the evangelical, Wesleyan tradition, offering quality undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. We provide higher education in a vibrant Christian environment where minds are engaged and challenged, character is modeled and formed, and service is an expression of faith. PLNU is an institution that is committed to reflecting the rich diversity of God’s kingdom. We therefore encourage applications from culturally diverse candidates.
We are pleased to offer attractive benefits and resources. This includes benefits such as health, dental, tuition benefits for employees and dependents, competitive retirement matching, vacation and sick time, and 15 paid holidays per year. In addition, we have many opportunities to engage with our community including staff chapel and a robust wellness program.
Perform general accounting tasks and financial analysis for the PLNU Accounting & Finance Office.
- Compile, analyze and report on selected general ledger accounts to assess correct application of accounting principles.
- Collaborate effectively with Accounting and Finance Department and recommend financial actions to accounting team.
- Reconcile complex banking, merchant, and general ledger accounts.
- Post, review and approve accounting journals and transactions.
- Provide excellent customer service to the campus community on financial matters, Cashnet (online and e-markets) and Workday.
- Interface with various agencies and departments regarding revenue, expenditures, budgets, and grants.
- Troubleshoot system integration issues between external sources and Workday Finance.
- Audit and review transactions in Workday as Financial Analyst.
- Support the preparation of annual reports, budgets, and audit requests.
- Assist in the development of reports for University and departmental use.
- Prepare, track and report on unclaimed monies.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. Previous accounting experience, specifically for a not-for-profit organization, is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) and Google Drive (Sheets) required. Knowledge of Workday Finance or CashNet is a plus. Must be very proficient with systems/technology and adapt to learning new systems.
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with excellent independent problem-solving skills. Strong attention to detail and outstanding quantitative, analytical, and critical thinking skills are necessary, combined with strong organization skills and the ability to use independent judgment in prioritizing tasks.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Understanding of and commitment to the spiritual mission of the University.
- Positive, friendly disposition and the ability to communicate and exercise important human relation skills in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with the PLNU community.
- Job offer is contingent on clear background check
The work is primarily sedentary and may require sitting for extended periods of time. Use of computer equipment: computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Vision to read documents, e-mail and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor. Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone. Will also stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 10 lbs throughout the day.
Benefits include health, dental, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, competitive retirement matching, vacation and sick time, and 15 paid holidays per year. In addition, we have many opportunities to engage with our community including staff chapel, monthly lunches and a robust wellness program.
At PLNU, we believe in pursuing calling together. Deep and meaningful relationships between students, faculty, and staff is vital in nurturing our shared community and expressing God’s love. We are looking for enthusiastic candidates to join us in empowering our students to reach their greatest personal, spiritual and professional potential.
Point Loma Nazarene University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices or procedures.