Point Loma Campus – San Diego, CA
PLNU is a Christian liberal arts university in the evangelical, Wesleyan tradition, offering quality undergraduate, graduate and professional programs. We provide higher education in a vibrant Christian environment where minds are engaged and challenged, character is modeled and formed, and service is an expression of faith. PLNU is an institution that is committed to reflecting the rich diversity of God’s kingdom. We therefore encourage applications from culturally diverse candidates.
We are pleased to offer attractive benefits and resources. This includes benefits such as health, dental, tuition benefits for employees and dependents, competitive retirement matching, vacation and sick time, and 15 paid holidays per year. In addition, we have many opportunities to engage with our community including staff chapel and a robust wellness program.
PLNU is looking for a dedicated and detail-oriented candidate to support and grow within the Office of Human Resources. You will be a great teammate who is willing to take direction but also shows initiative and can work independently. The role will contribute to the department by assisting with payroll processing and other human resources related functions.
This candidate will provide dependable and professional in-person support to our PLNU community of students, staff, and faculty.
Pay range: $22.00-$25.00 per hour
What We’re Looking For:
- Experience and knowledge of California payroll practices preferred
- Proficiency in Google Suite and Microsoft Excel, Workday experience is a plus
- You have an eye for detail and are familiar with balancing/reconciliations
- Self-motivated and able to work with regular check-ins and supervision from department leaders or teammates to communicate back progress and updates.
- Enthusiastic, passionate, and strong work ethic!
- Knowledge and experience working with a diverse population is preferred
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Provide excellent customer service communicating clearly, respectfully, positively, and supportively while interacting with a diverse population of students and colleagues.
- Provides training and on-going support to bi-weekly employees and supervisors on time entry system procedures, policies and dates.
- Assists with overall payroll processing of bi-weekly and semi-monthly payrolls. Serves as a backup when other payroll staff are out of the office.
- Provides payroll reports and data to HR, Accounting and other internal and external constituents as requested
- Acts as liaison with third party vendors to ensure tax liability accounts are reconciled and processed within established deadlines.
- Participate in fiscal and calendar year end processing of payroll and coordinating with outside vendors for W2 distribution
- Processes employment verifications
- Assist with other human resources functions as needed. This could include, but is not limited to, workers’ compensation, leaves of absences, billing and reconciliation, etc.
- One year of direct experience in payroll processing in a medium to large organization
- Ability to build and maintain trusted relationships with campus community.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Evidence of Christian commitment and active church involvement. In addition, staff agree to live in agreement with PLNU’s Community Life Covenant.
- Job offer is contingent on a clear background check.
- The work is primarily sedentary and may require sitting for extended periods of time.
- Use of computer equipment: computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor.
- Vision to read documents, email and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor.
- Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone.
- Will also stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 10 lbs throughout the day.
At PLNU, we believe in pursuing calling together. Deep and meaningful relationships between students, faculty, and staff is vital in nurturing our shared community and expressing God’s love. We are looking for enthusiastic candidates to join us in empowering our students to reach their greatest personal, spiritual and professional potential.
Point Loma Nazarene University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices or procedures.