San Diego – Point Loma
The Point Loma Nazarene University community is, and intends to be, a decidedly Christian community, as exhibited by our shared beliefs, corporate practices, and Christlike character.
We are looking for an experienced, high-performing payroll professional. The ideal candidate is someone who is a team player, self-motivated, and detail-oriented. This is a great opportunity for someone with complex payroll in a higher education environment.
- Processes exempt and non-exempt payrolls to ensure accurate and timely payroll records and procedures
- Presents at new hire orientations regarding payroll processes and PLNU’s HRIS Workday system
- Tracks and processes new employee initial and renewal I-9 documents
- Provides training and on-going support to employees and supervisors on time entry system procedures, policies and dates
- Runs time not submitted reports and communicates with employees and supervisors on time not submitted or approved
- Processes employment verifications
- Develops advanced knowledge of Workday payroll system, staying current on updates impacting payroll functionality
- Provides payroll reports and data to HR, Accounting and other internal and external constituents as requested
- Audits payroll information for accuracy and reconciles payroll deposits, tax withholdings, wage garnishments, and all other deductions
- Fiscal and calendar year end processing of payroll and coordinating with outside vendors for W2 distribution
- Prepares required governmental forms and reports
- Analyze selected payroll accounts and prepare necessary journal entries
- Acts as liaison with third party vendors to ensure tax liability accounts are reconciled and processed within established deadlines.
- Stays up to date on state and federal payroll regulations impacting compliance and service delivery
- Assists Accounting office in performing compliances for unclaimed property payroll checks
- Processes and manages one-time pay procedures
- Other duties as assigned
- Three years of direct experience in electronic payroll processing in a medium to large organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal and California payroll laws and regulations
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite including MS Excel
- Excellent customer service skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- Understands the impact of payroll journal entries to the general ledger (debits and credits)
- Working knowledge of basic Accounting procedures preferred
- Prior experience processing payroll in Workday software system preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Accounting or related field preferred
- Related experience in a university setting preferred
- Positive, friendly attitude and the ability to communicate effectively and exercise maturity, good judgment, and tact in working with co-workers, other members of the campus community, and those outside the university
- Understanding of and commitment to the spiritual mission of Point Loma Nazarene University
- Job offer is contingent on clear background check
The work is primarily sedentary and may require sitting for extended periods of time. Use of computer equipment: computer keyboard, mouse, and monitor. Ability to read documents, email and other correspondence, and reports on paper and computer monitor. Hearing and speaking to communicate effectively with others in person and by phone. Ability to stand, stoop, push, pull, and lift up to 20 lbs throughout the day.
Benefits include health, dental, tuition benefits for employee and dependents, competitive retirement matching, vacation and sick time, and 15 paid holidays per year. In addition, we have many opportunities to engage with our community including staff chapel, monthly lunches and a robust wellness program.
Point Loma Nazarene University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices or procedures. In a continuing effort to enrich its academic environment and provide quality educational and employment opportunities, PLNU actively encourages applications from members of underrepresented groups in higher education.