Overland Park, KS
As Director, People Services Compensation, you play a crucial role in shaping QTS’ compensation philosophy to ensure competitiveness and alignment with QTS’ strategic objectives, culture, and values. This position requires a blend of strategic thinking, analytical expertise, leadership capabilities, and effective communication skills to drive the success of compensation programs in support of the overall talent management strategy of the organization.
In this role, you are responsible for designing, implementing, and managing the organization's compensation and sales commissions programs including developing strategies to attract, engage, and retain top talent through competitive and equitable compensation practices while ensuring compliance with legal regulations and internal policies.
RESPONSIBILITIES, other duties may be assigned
- Compensation Strategy Development:
- Execute on a comprehensive compensation strategy aimed to attract, engage, and retain high-performing and high-potential talent – aligned with QTS’ goals, culture and values
- Oversee all aspects of the compensation program, including salary structures, bonus plans, equity awards, and other incentives
- Conduct regular market research and analysis to benchmark compensation industry standards to ensure competitiveness
- Develop innovative and effective compensation plans that attract, retain and engage top talent
- Monitor the effectiveness of existing compensation practices and recommend changes that are cost-effective and consistent with compensation trends and company objectives
- Design creative solutions for compensation-related rewards programs and incentive plans
- Owner operator of the Workday HCM compensation and advanced compensation module including workflows, configuration, and reporting
- Advance pay transparency and compensation statement global strategy in collaboration with senior leadership
- Design and Execution:
- Manage the annual compensation process, including budget proposals, base pay, bonus, and equity. Propose guidelines and prepare projections for budget forecasting in collaboration with leadership and finance
- Design and implement various compensation programs, including salary structures, incentives, bonuses, and multiple types of non-executive equity plans
- Lead annual compensation survey participation, benchmarking, and market data analysis
- Collaborate with People Services and Finance to ensure effective implementation.
- Develop and implement global approach for global job requisitions
- Continually advance company benchmarking approach with a focus on market competitiveness
- Maintain all data components of employee compensation talent structure in HCM
- Enhance data validation and data quality framework for compensation modules in conjunction with IT
- Leads the implementation and administration of compensation programs and system impacts
- Support the executive compensation process
- Oversee administration of sales commission plans, personnel details, quotas, commission rates, organization structure, crediting rules, calculation formulas, and monthly reporting of payments to payroll and leadership
- Performance Evaluation and Analysis:
- Ensure compensation strategy and philosophy is linked to individual and team performance, ensuring consistent application supporting our pay-for-performance culture
- Analyze compensation data and metrics regularly to ensure fairness, competitiveness, and cost-effectiveness
- Progress data visualization and storytelling of compensation philosophy and data
- Compliance and Legal:
- Remain current with US local, state, and federal laws and regulations related to compensation
- Ensure all compensation practices comply with global legal requirements and internal policies
- Oversee audit controls relating to compensation
- Stakeholder Collaboration and Communication:
- Collaborate with people leaders at all levels and other stakeholders to align compensation strategies with business goals
- Develop and present executive-level presentations and reporting relating to compensation analysis and market trending
- Communicate effectively with employees regarding compensation philosophies, changes, and program details
- Strong interpersonal skills with a consultative, curious mindset to translate business requirements into solutions
- Expert relationship building skills with key stakeholders at all levels
- Provide training and consultation for people leaders and HRBPs on compensation philosophy and programs
- Team Leadership and Development:
- Lead and manage a team of compensation and sales commissions professionals, providing guidance, mentorship, coaching, and support
- Develop succession planning and backup capability approach for compensation team
- Identify and monitor team learning and development plans
- Provide ongoing performance feedback and development of team
- Foster a culture of continuous learning and development aligned with QTS culture
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Human Resources, Business Administration or related field. Equivalent professional experience considered in lieu of a degree.
- Ten or more years of corporate compensation design and strategy development experience for a distributed global organization
- Five or more years of Workday compensation expertise including advanced compensation
- Five or more years of people leadership experience
- Proficiency in creating elegant, efficient, and effective compensation and financial models, budgets, and reports
- Expert proficiency in MS Excel including pivot tables, complex formulas, lookup functions, etc. or comparable data visualization tools
- Sales commissions experience, preferably with Forma.AI or other sales commission modeling tool including MS Excel
- Certified Compensation Professional (CCP) designation desirable
- Three or more years of commission-based incentive program oversight
- Understanding or oversight of EU pay regulations or oversight of third-party vendor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Consultative problem solver who thrives in analyzing complex business challenges then translating into innovative organizational solutions
- Thrives working in high-growth, performance-focused environments while administering complex programs
- Exhibits a strong executive presence supporting effective and influential communication skills
- Ability to manage confidential information discreetly
- Ability to take initiative, work flexibly, and set priorities with minimal direct supervision
- Strong analytical skills, disciplined attention to detail, highly organized and thorough
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple assignments with competing deadlines
- This role is also eligible for a competitive beneﬁts package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance; 401(k) retirement plan; ﬂexible spending and HSA accounts; paid holidays; paid time off; paid volunteer days; employee assistance program; tuition assistance; parental leave; military leave assistance; QTS scholarship for dependents; wellness program, and other company beneﬁts.
- This position is Bonus eligible.
- This job may be eligible for equity.
We conform to all the laws, statutes, and regulations concerning equal employment opportunities and affirmative action. We strongly encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply to all of our job openings. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, age, disability status, Genetic Information & Testing, Family & Medical Leave, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We prohibit retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or participate in the investigation of any complaint or discrimination claim.
The "Know Your Rights" Poster is included here:
The pay transparency policy is available here:
QTS is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.