Responsible for managing the day to day payroll operations of the Payroll Department. Manages the activities of payroll staff and tasks necessary to accomplish the organization’s payroll processing objectives. Builds and maintains relationships with internal and external auditors, payroll vendors, and state and federal tax agencies. Establishes strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations and has a strong desire to leverage technology for efficiency and effectiveness.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages Payroll operations and processes to ensure all payrolls are processed timely, accurately, and in compliance with legislative requirements and company policies.
- Sets clear objectives for team members and ensures those objectives are met by effectively coaching, developing, and managing team members.
- Provides excellent customer service by educating and providing assistance to team members and management regarding payroll, taxes, wage & hour, garnishments, and timekeeping processes in accordance with procedures, laws, and regulations.
- Responsible for resolving tax challenges, managing multi-state reports, W-2 Forms, Fringe benefit reporting, reconciling end of year earning/deductions, filing tax amendments, resolving tax issues with federal, state, and local agencies and staying abreast of all payroll tax laws and changes. Liaison with Tax Team on Tax reporting and filings.
- Assists internal and external auditors during audit process including but not limited to Worker’s Compensation.
- Assists with applicable JSOX processes, including documentation, testing, and remediation. Reviews all applicable JSOX process documents to ensure they are current and accurate.
- Assists with payroll system implementation activities – in connection with system updates and/or company structure changes such as mergers and acquisitions.
- Provides direction to team in working with Workday in partnership with HRIS Team on maintenance, testing, and enhancements to Payroll in Workday system.
- Responsible for protecting payroll operations by maintaining confidentiality of records.
- Manages relationships with applicable third party vendors.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Related Experience
- Associates degree required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- 6+ years of payroll processing experience including multistate.
- 3+ years of supervisory experience managing a team of payroll professionals.
- Experience with Payroll systems, Workday a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and analytical skills.
- Ability to improve processes and procedures and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state and local payroll functions and administration, including regulations and their underlying principles
- Strong PC / systems skills including Excel.
- Able to work independently.
- Demonstrated coaching/mentoring skills and problem solving skills.
- Strong customer service and time management skills.
Ability to Travel: Up to 10%
Reliance Standard Insurance Company is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are considered for positions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by applicable federal state or local laws.