Job Description Summary
The payroll specialist will use their understanding of the University’s in-house payroll system to collect, review employee information and working hours, calculating wages, preparing, and processing employee payments. The position performs duties and tasks necessary to prepare and process biweekly payrolls in compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and university policies. The position requires proficient communication, customer service, and computer skills and the ability to demonstrate discretion in dealing with confidential information.
- Enter payroll data into Workday on applicable payroll cycle.
- Runs and reviews system reports to validate pay results for new hires, terminations, job changes, and one-time payments to ensure proper processing.
- Validate and process retro calculations, updates and make necessary changes as needed.
- Process and validate direct deposit requests.
- Run/schedule pay calculation to ensure results are updated regularly during payroll cycle.
- Review work study upload results to confirm proper setup and make necessary updates to ensure proper funding.
- Review entries to ensure accuracy prior to transmission of payroll.
- Process and distribute payroll reports to management bi-weekly, monthly, or as needed.
- Assist with audit requests, year-end, and other special projects as assigned.
- Respond to and resolve employee questions related to payroll.
- Review process documentation to ensure all process are adequately documented and creating/updating documentation as necessary.
- Serves as backup to Payroll Director for running regular biweekly payrolls.
- Collaborate with Human Resources, Financial Aid and Finance to work toward shared goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of payroll processing, tax withholding and accounting principles.
- Knowledge of payroll related laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of Workday.
- Knowledgeable in Microsoft Word and Excel.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communication and inter-personal skills with ability to solve complicated complaints, inquiries, and issues involving pay and benefits.
- Ability to work proactively; meet stringent deadlines; prioritize work; and operate in a fast-paced environment with limited amount of supervision.
- Possess a strong attention to detail and excellent data entry skills.
- Analyze and interpret data for accuracy.
- Ability to work independently and exercise good judgment and discretion in performing assigned duties.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented in order to track, manage, and resolve multiple open issues in a timely, efficient, and accurate manner.
- Exceptional mathematical and calculation skills.
- Must possess a strict level of discretion in maintaining employee confidentiality and protecting operations.
- Associate degree in accounting or business or equivalent training and experience that encompass basic math skills, analytical problem solving, and logical thinking required.
- Working knowledge of payroll, taxes, benefits; and wage/hour regulations and tax fundamentals preferred.
- Hands-on payroll processing experience preferred.
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Why Work at Saint Leo?
What it’s Like to Work Here: Ask our employees and the one word they’d use to describe working at Saint Leo University is “Community.” Our team members all share the Saint Leo core values, positive attitudes, and problem-solving abilities, enabling them to provide excellent student centered service. Our mission is educating and preparing students for life and leadership in a challenging world. Thank you for your interest in joining the Saint Leo PRIDE!
We are committed to providing our employees with the support they need. At Saint Leo, we offer an array of medical, dental, and vision packages as well as several add-on perks to make your benefits package truly customizable to you and your family needs. Available benefits based on employment status (Full Time vs Part Time).
- Inclusive Group Health Plan (Medical, Dental, Vision)
- Group Health Plan features include Teledoc, Surgery Plus!, Wellness Incentive Program, Nationwide Pet Insurance, just to name a few!
- Health Reimbursement Account (University Paid!) and Flexible Spending Accounts (healthcare and dependent options)
- Tuition Remission (Employee, Spouse, and Dependents)*
- Tuition Exchange opportunity for dependent of employees*
- Paid Personal Leave (Sick, Vacation, Holidays)
- 403b – Annual match 3%-9% of pay based on employee’s contribution. University match and fully vested within one month of hire date.
- Basic Life and AD&D Insurance valued at 30k (University Paid!)
- Income Protection Benefits after one year
- Additional options for supplemental insurance
*Eligibility based on meeting required service period