MN – St. Paul
Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That’s the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Finance and Accounting, Human Resources
Job Description Summary
As a part of the Payroll team, the Senior Payroll Consultant meets the operational plan for Travelers Payroll department by ensuring all paychecks are in compliance with country and state/provincial regulations and are processed in an accurate and timely manner.
The position is responsible for closing the daily, biweekly, and monthly payrolls in an efficient and timely manner. Assists with quarter and year end closings. Drives system projects and HR technology upgrades, including testing of tax law changes or programs to ensure paycheck accuracy.
Payroll is a center of excellence within the Employee Services Unit (ESU) which is a global inbound contact and transaction processing center that handles general HR questions supporting US, Canada, UK, and Ireland.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Closes daily, biweekly, and monthly payrolls for US, Canada, UK, and Ireland including the review of numerous edit reports that need to be thoroughly researched and corrected prior to closing.
- Ensures accurate tax allocations and withholding based on employee work schedule and physical location; Responsible for address changes/transfers to ensure proper taxation.
- Responsible for all imputed income and relocation transactions.
- Execute all executive deferred compensation payments. Responds to all related questions from retired executives.
- Provides backup for the creation of location related tables for all countries in the HR technology payroll system.
- Designs specifications, develops testing criteria, and executes test cases for scheduled releases and payroll related projects.
- Leads the quarter-end, year-end and annual bonus/equity project.
- Responsible for understanding multiple payroll systems in order to process multiple payrolls.
- Consults on complex compliance related issues or questions from representatives as needed.
- High school degree or equivalent required.
- A minimum of 4 years of payroll or related work experience.
- In depth knowledge of USA payroll related tax laws required.
- In depth knowledge of FLSA laws required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent relevant work experience preferred.
- In depth knowledge of Canada, UK and Ireland payroll related tax laws preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in executing test plans for tax releases and other payroll related projects preferred.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and quickly resolve issues as they arise.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Strong communication skills, including verbal and written, and the ability to work with both internal and external customers while utilizing great customer service skills preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with Workday payroll preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint preferred.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.