Coral Gables, FL
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.
With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful mission to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.
The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.
The Frost School of Music has an exciting opportunity for a full-time Manager of Events to work in the Coral Gables Campus.
The Manager of Events reports to the Executive Director of Marketing, Communications and Events, and works closely with the Dean and the Director of Development (as needed), to plan and execute approximately 40 yearly events for the University of Miami’s Frost School of Music. This position provides leadership and professional production expertise in the planning and implementation of Frost Music Live Signature Series concerts/events, as well as development-related special events such as Winter Wonderful gala and general Frost School of Music events as assigned by the Dean or the Executive Director of Marketing.
The Manager also oversees all event marketing materials, advertising and PR, as it relates to Frost Music Live including Signature Series, as well as Winter Wonderful, and other assigned events, in conjunction with the Executive Director of Marketing.
The Manager manages the budgets for the concert series, the marketing of the series, as well as Winter Wonderful. The Manager will work with Development to attract potential sponsors for Signature Series. The Events Manager is also responsible for securing grants to support and fund Frost Music Live Signature Series.
The Events Manager oversees and manages one full-time position – the Events Planner and has a shared supervisory role of the Event Marketing Specialist. He/she oversees casual workers and student employees.
Duties and Responsibilities:
60% Event Planning, Production, and Management
This is a concert production intensive position:
• Oversees and manages the events team for in-person live concerts and staffing
• Produces and manages approximately 30 Signature Series concerts yearly, along with masterclasses and other events such as the annual Winter Wonderful gala, Holiday Party at Dean’s home, and other assigned events, including timelines, checklists, budgets, booking of performers, and all logistics.
• Attends and serves as the on-site Manager and contact person for events outlined above.
• Negotiates with artists, artist management, vendors and suppliers and manages in conjunction with the University of Miami General Counsel & Business Services to ensure compliance with all artists, vendors, and venues.
• Develops clear strategies and objectives for each event and adheres to corresponding timeline from inception to the successful completion of each event.
• Makes recommendations on program content and determines flow of event, facilitates the coordination and briefing of speakers/presenters
10% Marketing and Media
• Works closely with designers, printers, and Frost Communications Specialist and Event Marketing Specialist to develop printed materials for Signature Series such as the postcard, brochure, program book, and any other printed materials relating to Signature Series and Winter Wonderful.
• Oversees the Event Marketing Specialist to continuously update content on the FML website and Constant Contact email distribution list for the Frost School of Music.
• Develop and/or maintain highly professional standards and procedures for production of events in keeping with the image and reputation of the University of Miami.
20% Grant Writing
Assists development in identifying Signature Series potential sponsors to garner support.
• Assists Development with Signature Series Sponsorship Package.
• Researches potential grant funding and submits applications on behalf of Frost School’s Signature Series.
• Oversees Event Manager Specialist who gathers, updates, and maintains Signature Series donor and ticket purchaser databases on Raiser’s Edge with the assistance of Advancement Services and
Events Marketing Specialist.
10% Financial/Office Management
• Managers and monitors operational budgets within WorkDay for Signature Series and Winter Wonderful, anticipates cost of production, and provides budgetary analysis.
• Obtains approval and ensures compliance with University Accounting for aforementioned budgets.
• As needed, interviews, hires, trains, and manages full-time staff, work study students, contractors, vendors.
• Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent skills with at least five years of relevant work experience is required. Any relevant education, certifications and/or work experience may be considered.
o Musicial and/or concert-related experience preferred.
o Experienced in contract negotiations with artists, artist management, vendors and suppliers.
• Demonstrate project management (preferably music-related), time management, organizational and strong negotiation skills, with the ability to manage details of multiple and complex projects within firm schedules, set priorities that accurately reflect the relative importance of activities or job duties, and effectively carry out event goals in a manner that enhances the image of the University.
• Fiscal and budget management knowledge and experience, including the ability to prepare, manage, and monitor event budgets, anticipating cost of production, technical, and promotional needs; ability to learn and understand University policies and procedures, campus financial systems, and to adhere to internal control principles and systems.
• Demonstrate integrity, dependability, sound judgment, teambuilding, and resourcefulness to establish and maintain collaborative, positive, and effective working relationships with multiple and diverse constituency groups.
• Knowledge of effective human resource management principles and practices, including: skills sufficient to hire, train, provide direction, motivate, mentor, and evaluate staff.
• Ability to listen carefully to understand, respond, and problem-solve effectively to address concerns and interests of campus constituents, guests, vendors, and others as needed. Candidate demonstrates the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Candidate must be proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). Knowledge of WorkDay is a plus. Bilingual in English and Spanish a plus.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.