3401 Walnut Street
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America’s Best Large Employers in 2023.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
Posted Job Title
BSD Administrative Coordinator; Division of Business Services
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Reporting to the Executive Director, Business Services, the BSD Administrative Coordinator serves as the front desk and administrative support for the Division of Business Services (BSD) central office. As BSD Administrative Coordinator this candidate must be comfortable operating in a public facing position and serving as one of the first people someone sees when entering the suite. Having a service mindset, the selected candidate will need to be flexible, adaptable, and willing to perform both routine and non-routine tasks as needed.
Under limited supervision, this position provides administrative and other programmatic support to managers, employees, students and office visitors by handling a variety of administrative and clerical tasks in order to ensure that all interactions between the organization and others are positive and productive. The ability to multi-task, while maintaining complex schedules and managing administrative support, is essential in this position. In addition to front desk support for the BSD Central Office, this role will also provide direct support to the Program Manager for Penn Home Ownership Services (PHOS) as well as direct support to the BSD Human Resources team. This role will report to the Executive Director of Business Services, who oversees the HR function, as well as the Penn Children's Center and the Penn Ice Rink and will perform a variety of tasks to include:
- Answering phones including Office of VP, Associate VP, Senior Executive Director, and Executive Director phones.
- Greet visitors & provide directional assistance.
- Manages conference room calendar/bookings; and monitors conference room cleanliness/quality (in collaboration with BSD Housekeeper).
HR Administrative Support
- Support recruitment events.
- New employee experience initiatives to include onboarding and new employee orientation coordination.
- Compliance reporting.
- Basic Workday transactions.
- HR audit, compliance and OOAA initiatives.
- Ensuring union dues and pension funds are paid.
- Any other basic HR functional support as requested.
Support the Penn Home Ownership Services (PHOS):
- Update PHOS database with approved content.
- Answer customer calls/emails.
- Schedule meetings, presentations and/or education sessions.
- Printing/collating/filing/archiving documentation for closings/meetings.
- Attend events in support of PHOS education/programming.
Other Logistical and Administrative Tasks (both Routine and Non-Routine) for BSD Office as Required:
- Photocopying, printing, collating, archiving, distributing mail/notices as needed.
- Serve as backup for Workday payroll and timekeeping transactions.
- Complete Purchase Order and P-Card transactions for BSD Central Offices.
- Process invoices and undertake basic accounting transactions/reporting/reconciliation as assigned.
- Ensure BSD Suite has all required supplies on hand and orders supplies/equipment as requested.
- Assist with making travel arrangements and producing expense reports.
- Coordinates equipment contracts/repairs, facilities requests, office supply maintenance, service contracts as necessary.
- Facilitate meeting scheduling and coordinate meetings of large groups, schedule recruitment interviews and any other BSD Central meetings as requested as well as ensuring all meetings are logistically supported as required.
- High School Diploma and 5-7 years of experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Associate degree or higher preferred.
- Extensive customer service experience required.
- Experience using various online systems (including Microsoft Office Suite) as well as a proven aptitude to learn multiple software system applications required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written/verbal) are essential as are possessing strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively prioritize tasks.
- Ability to resolve issues with demanding customers with limited supervision is required.
- Familiarity and experience in using Penn’s BEN Financial system or similar a plus, as well as experience with Penn Marketplace.
- Notary accreditation desirable.
This role is not-hybrid eligible and will be required to maintain BSD suite and/or campus presence during scheduled working hours.
The Division of Business Services (BSD) supports the individual and collective needs of the Penn community by promoting a hospitable, customer-friendly campus environment through the provision of mission-critical services and essential operations. BSD’s mission is to provide high-quality service in a fiscally responsible manner. The Division is currently focused on three major initiatives:
1) Revenue growth/retention through improved marketing efforts, extended services, and development of new distribution channels;
2) Driving productivity for the Division and its customers through the better use of technology, and
3) Enhancing service offerings through upgrades and expansions of facilities.
For more information please visit: https://business-services.upenn.edu
Job Location – City, State
Department / School
$20.45 – $28.00 Hourly Rate
Salary offers are made based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family’s health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn’s Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family—whatever your personal needs may be.
Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you’re newly hired, you won’t have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That’s why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University’s libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There’s always something going on at Penn, whether it’s a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you’re right in the middle of the excitement—and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay