Los Angeles, CA – University Park Campus
The Associate HR Partner supports HR Client Services operations for business units. This role enables the leadership of their unit by analyzing the people and organizational needs in their unit. The Associate HR Partner works proactively to identify opportunities for improvement to enhance culture, diversity and inclusion, employee engagement and experience, and professional development in partnership with centers of expertise. This role will enable HR activities within their unit that align to the overall talent and organizational strategy. The Associate HR Partner will analyze compliance adherence of all HR practices in their unit within the area of responsibility and with legislative and regulatory requirements, standards, and other applicable policies and guidelines. The team of HR Partners will work closely with the centers of expertise for deep domain expertise, and the Solution Center for employee questions and HR transactions. This role will work primarily with their unit but will report into HR for operational guidance, including leading practices, standard HR processes and procedures, HR related support and expertise, and for personal career growth. This role will help enable USC’s vision while championing USC’s culture and values.
The candidate for the position of Associate HR Partner must meet the following qualifications:
- Three or more years of experience in human resources or human capital management.
- Understanding of a broad spectrum of HR domains including compensation, recruitment, employee and labor relations, talent management, continuous process improvement, change management, training, diversity and inclusion, workforce planning, and organizational development.
- Ability to consult with business units about talent metrics, employee and labor relations, workforce planning, talent assessments and performance management.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects with diverse teams.
- Ability to learn quickly and flexibly adapt HR expertise to different business units.
- Ability to work effectively alongside corporate partners and other service providers (i.e. healthcare providers, ADP, contingent staffing vendors, etc.)
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
The ideal candidate for the position of Associate HR Partner has the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, psychology, human resources, industrial relations or related field.
- Five or more years of experience in human resources or human capital management.
- Experience in higher education or consulting.
- Excellent mentoring and coaching skills to enhance client management and leadership abilities and relationships among teams.
- Knowledge of Workday Human Capital Management applications and analytics.
- Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), Certified Professional in Learning and Performance (CPLP), Organization Development Certified Professional Program (ODCP), Society for Human Resource Management Certified Professional/Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP), Professional in Human Resources/Senior Professional in Human Resources (PHR/SPHR) or other similar certifications.
The candidate for the position of Associate HR Partner will be responsible for:
- Maintaining working knowledge in HR domains including but not limited to compensation, recruitment, employee and labor relations, workforce planning, talent management, continuous process improvement, change management, training, diversity and inclusion, and organizational development. Maintaining updated knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Maintaining an effective level of literacy about the assigned unit’s near and long-term plans, culture and services. Demonstrating an understanding of and responding to the complex business environment and identifying how business managers can partner with HR productively.
- Teaming with business units and analyzing current practices to ensure compliance adherence. Providing day-to-day management support to line management (e.g., performance management, career development, performance improvement plans including disciplinary actions).
- Demonstrating effective written and verbal communications skills to produce documents, proposals, presentations, and reports tailored to individual audience needs. Maintaining open line of communication with business unit.
- Soliciting constructive feedback and insights from HR Partner team and unit leadership and proactively incorporating suggestions into continuous improvement of the work environment. Expanding and updating knowledge of existing and proposed federal, state and local employment laws/regulations.
- Gathering and analyzing information on key human capital indicators to enable effective decision-making. As directed, assisting with employee or labor relations matters and litigation including conducting effective, thorough and objective investigations ensuring open yet discreet communications and an unbiased disposition.
- Recording and reporting any breaches of compliance to HR and local management as well as providing on the ground assistance to rectify. Promoting an environment that fosters inclusive relationships and creates unbiased opportunities for contributions through ideas, words, and actions that uphold principles of the USC culture and values including Code of Ethics.
- Demonstrating, through words, actions, and ideas, alignment to USC’s strategic plan and the HR organization’s strategic plan. Enabling the university to fulfill its academic and people missions through enhanced HR service.
- Performing other related responsibilities as requested and when necessary. The university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
The University of Southern California is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Expertise:
Three years’ experience in HR and/or human capital management. Demonstrated broad understanding of varied HR domains (e.g., compensation, recruitment, employee/labor relations, diversity and inclusion), and the ability to learn quickly and flexibly adapt expertise to different business units. Excellent written and oral communications skills, with the ability to exercise discretion with confidential information. Ability to consult with business units about talent metrics, employee/ labor relations, workforce planning, talent assessments and performance management. Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills, with exceptional attention to detail. Ability to work on multiple concurrent projects with diverse teams and alongside varied stakeholders (e.g., corporate partners, healthcare providers, staffing vendors). Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated emotional intelligence, able to develop positive working relationships and strong rapport with people from diverse backgrounds. Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: