Los Angeles, CA – University Park Campus
The University of Southern California (USC), founded in 1880, is located in the heart of downtown Los Angeles and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. USC is consistently ranked among the nation’s most prestigious universities, and the USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology features one of the world’s best degree and research programs in gerontology. We have an international reputation as a hub of aging research and, with additional strong programs throughout the university leading the way in defining and advancing the field of gerontology.
The USC Leonard Davis School of Gerontology is seeking an Associate Research Administrator to join its team! This is a great opportunity for a reliable and self-motivated person to come in and be part of the pre-award administration team. Working in the Business Office, the Associate Research Administrator will participate with principal investigators in the preparation of the administrative components of proposals within parameters of sponsored and non-sponsored research guidelines. This person serves as liaison and active partner between principal investigators, the Office of Sponsored Research, research groups, and other departments. The Associate Research Administrator will also develop, prepare, and finalize multi-year project budgets. The Associate Research Administrator is a member of a team and is expected to assist and collaborate with colleagues to ensure timely service to departments, units, and sponsors, as needed, and to perform backup duties during business office staff vacations or sick leaves.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to handling all aspects of Pre-Award Administration such as the following:
- Oversees and communicates submission process, both paper and electronic. Reviews documents for completeness and compliance.
- Collaborates with the Office of Sponsored Research to ensure awards are set up properly and cost-sharing requirements are fulfilled.
- Develops and communicates reports supporting project status.
- Evaluates and processes modifications to Contracts, Cooperative Agreements, and Grants including changes to Terms and Conditions, Obligated Scope and Funding, and impacts on deliverables.
- Assists project leaders and administrative staff with contractual compliance and resolution of issues.
- Keeps current with information regarding agency funding/spending guidelines and restrictions. Communicates information to faculty and other research-related staff to ensure that guidelines set forth by agencies are followed.
- Participates in contract closeout process, assists SPA and DCG with the preparation of financial and/or progress reports requested by agencies for award continuation and/or final reports.
- Serves as a resource on subject area and overall technical resource to principal investigator and other university staff.
- Participates in and contributes to process improvements.
- Provides cross-training, as necessary.
- Attends department meetings and central meetings.
This is a hybrid position requiring at least 4 days working from the UPC Campus with one day working remotely.
The successful candidate should possess exceptional communication skills and will be analytical, proactive, and a problem solver as well as be self-motivated and have the ability to exercise sound judgment in prioritizing tasks.
The individual in this position must have the willingness to learn new skills and take on new challenges, as well as having the ability to effectively interact and collaborate with all levels of university administrators and faculty members, including working effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field of study;
- 3 plus years of demonstrated experience with budget development and proposal preparation experience; contracts and grants administration experience.
- Experience with grants and grant terms;
- Experience with NIH and NSF based Contracts and Subcontracts;
- Strong written and oral communication and organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively in a high-energy team environment with a wide variety of technical and administrative personnel;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- A results-oriented focus with the demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple time-sensitive issues and meet deadlines.
- Basic knowledge of governmental regulations. Strong accounting skills. Competency in project management. A Bachelor's Degree with a broad knowledge of relevant research computer software, e.g.: Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Outlook, Cayuse, Concur and/or Workday.
- Experience in creating and analyzing statistical reports.
- USC experience a big plus
- Workday experience a big plus
Benefits include a competitive salary, a rich array of USC benefits including healthcare (including dental and vision), 403(b), tuition reimbursement, national holidays, paid vacation, and much more. This is a full-time non-exempt position that will require substantial commitment and flexibility. If you are looking to join a dynamic team and meet all the requirements/experience listed, we encourage you to apply.
The hourly rate range for this position is $40.00- $42.00. When extending an offer of employment, the University of Southern California considers factors such as (but not limited to) the scope and responsibilities of the position, the candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, federal, state and local laws, contractual stipulations, grant funding, as well as external market and organizational considerations.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
If you are interested, please submit your fully completed application including a cover letter and resume with references. Thank you for your interest!
Bachelor’s degree Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Field of Expertise:
A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience with broad knowledge of relevant research computer software, e.g.: Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint; Outlook, SPSS, Visio, and SunGard. Experience in creating and analyzing statistical reports. Must be able to utilize computer technology to access data, maintain records and generate reports. Proven oral and written communication skills to interact with other employees.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at email@example.com. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: