Los Angeles, CA – University Park Campus
Since 1897, the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry has shaped talented students into outstanding dentists and dental hygienists. Our challenging clinical education and our expert faculty members provide future oral health professionals with the skills they need in order to become the best. Dentists and dental hygienists are consistently viewed as some of the most trusted and respected professionals that serve the public, and our graduates are part of the reason. The Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry not only educates excellent clinicians but also produces professionals who earn their patients’ trust with unyielding commitment to exemplary ethical standards.
USC’s Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry is looking for a customer-centric and outcomes-oriented Budget/Business Technician to join the Business Office Team.
The Budget/Business Technician will be part of a team that manages the Dental Laboratory, Dental Implants, and Dental Services accounts for the Herman Ostrow School of Dentistry.
In this fast-paced environment, the Budget/Business Technician will have responsibilities that include but are not limited to:
- Prepares, processes and/or reviews paperwork, e.g., department orders and check requests, requisitions and other budget and business forms.
- Assists with the preparation and submission of Requisitions to set up Standing Purchase Orders (SPO). This includes SPOs for the various goods and services necessary to support the school’s clinical operations like Laboratory, Implants, and Dental Services.
- In addition to the dental related SPOs, set up and maintain standing purchase orders for services related to the school’s central activities including the Business Office, Billing Department, and Operations.
- Monitors all Standing Purchase Orders for correct charges and itemizes expenses.
- Inputs financial data to ledgers or departmental accounting systems. Reconciles internal records to university Workday financial system. Distributes Accounting and Financial reports. Researches problems and corrects errors or brings to the attention of the supervisor for further consideration.
- Monitors and/or controls expenditures for intercampus and external vendors. Reconciles vendor statements and submits invoices for payment. Interfaces with purchasing, external vendors and accounts payable to verify prices and resolve discrepancies.
- Submits Change Order Requests (COR) as necessary to increase SPOs through-out the year and as funds start running low.
- Tracks all supplier invoices to make sure payments are being submitted on a timely basis and brings up any issues to supervisor.
- Interacts with university financial offices to exchange information and resolve problems.
- Assists in the preparation of periodic financial reports for internal and/or external use.
- Orders materials and supplies for the Business Office, Billing Office, and the Chief Financial Officer as requested.
- Interacts with Budget Business Analysts and Senior Business Officer in planning of short and long-term budgets by compiling and organizing data for use in forecasts.
- 2 or more years of relevant work experience in finance or accounting office.
- Experience in a dental school or private dental office environment highly desired.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration/ accounting or related field.
- University budget experience and knowledge of university enterprise resource planning systems such as Workday.
- Strong computer skills including Excel spreadsheets.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional customer service skills to meet stakeholder needs.
- Ability to work in a cohesive team oriented environment.
- A self-motivated critical thinker who can solve issues encountered and provide alternate solutions.
- Possess a strong work ethic with the ability to meet deadlines and interact with all levels of management.
*Please upload Cover Letter and Resume to be considered.
The Business Office Team is the central core for all business and financial transactions within the Herman Ostrow community of professional schools. Having the ability to learn new accounting systems, adapt to new fiscal environments, and maintain adherence to expenditure policies while delivering a high level of customer service will be key requirements for the successful candidate.
The Trojan Family Rewards:
We pride ourselves in creating the BEST USC EXPERIENCE, and that begins with our employees! We offer a wide variety of benefits and programs that support our staff and their families including. For more information please visit http://benefits.usc.edu
This support advocates work-life balance and employee well-being. As members of the Trojan family, employees are connected by the traditions and history that make us proud to be Trojans!
As an equal opportunity employer, USC values and promotes diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace. The work culture thrives on mutual respect, trust, and synergy amongst all of its members.
USC has great minds that transform the world with their talents and research. Will you be one? Join us!
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Directly related office financial experience to provide a knowledge of accounts payable, income and expense accounting and reconcilement, and budget preparation.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: