Los Angeles, CA – University Park Campus
The USC Viterbi School of Engineering seeks a Director of Payroll Operations. Reporting to the Executive Director of Human Resources — and working in close partnership with Viterbi Finance and Faculty Affairs, VASE, Viterbi Research, and other central University Offices — the Director of Payroll Operations would oversee all payroll activity across faculty, staff, and student workers.
The Director of Payroll Operations manages all payroll operations, serves as the chief compliance and quality control officer in payroll, manages subordinate staff, and engages in strategic planning and continuous improvement to deliver efficient and accurate payroll operations. This position oversees School-wide payroll infrastructure and training programs to ensure consistency and compliance across more than 25 Viterbi departments and programs. The Director is additionally tasked with managing historical and current payroll data, overseeing the staff compensation budget, and developing forecasts for longer-term payroll and personnel planning. This position includes direct oversight of five payroll staff and serves as the primary liaison to University leadership in this area.
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Maintains the accuracy, timeliness, and compliance of daily employee data and payroll services, in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations. Ensures timely payroll delivery and the integrity of all staff-entered data. Prepares monthly, quarterly, and annual reports, and provides analyses.
- Identifies challenges and recommends solutions regarding payroll processing, data auditing, and integrity policies and procedures. Partners with subject matter experts to gather, assess, and track project deliverables. Maximizes efficiency of payroll operations and develops human-centric processes.
- Oversees business system requirements for human resources support systems, developing new processes and streamlining data in coordination with internal Viterbi partners and central USC Information Technology Services (ITS).
- Serves as a key liaison to central payroll leadership and participates in USC-wide payroll policy and systems development. Serves on the Viterbi Operational Planning Committee and the Viterbi Business Continuity team.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested. The Viterbi School and the university reserves the right to add or change duties at any time.
- Bachelor’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
- 3 years of experience
- Field of Expertise: Personnel generalist experience providing thorough knowledge of laws governing payroll and personnel
- Master’s Degree in Finance or Business Administration.
- Expert knowledge of Workday HRIS system. Experience in University payroll for complex, decentralized organizations. Experience managing payroll at scale (>1000 constituents).
Director of Payroll Operations
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: