Los Angeles, CA – University Park Campus
The University of Southern California’s Iovine and Young Academy is seeking an HR/Payroll Coordinator II to support the faculty, students, and staff of this cutting-edge education institution. In this exempt position, the HR/Payroll Coordinator IIwill help the dean structure, implement, review, assess and improve the personnel plans across faculty and staff. The growth plans for the Academy will include growth of Academy personnel through additional hires and the development of career tracks for current personnel.
Major Accountabilities include:
- Supervises personnel and payroll processing ensuring that transactions are delivered in a timely fashion and in accordance with regulations, policies, and procedures. Responds to questions from faculty, staff and student workers regarding payroll or personnel matters and assists in resolving related problems.
- Advises faculty and staff on university personnel policies and procedures and assists with interpretation or follows through with appropriate university office.
- Coordinates recruitment and onboarding activities for the school. Oversees the preparation of requisitions to open positions for hire. Coordinates content and placement of employment advertising with university employment office. Works with the dean, dean of faculty, the dean of administration, and Central HR to develop strategies and best practices to recruit underrepresented applicants. Screens and refers qualified applicants to hiring supervisor.
- Advises the dean, the dean of faculty, and the dean of administration on best practices for retaining and supporting underrepresented groups, and implements best practices as directed.
- Works with the Assistant Dean, Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Access (IDEA) Initiatives to implement approved elements of the school’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) plan, including ongoing trainings, workshops, and events. Serve as a faculty, staff and student resource for diversity, equity and inclusion questions or concerns.
- Assists faculty and staff with salary administration. Provides information and guidance on policies and procedures and interacts with the university compensation office as needed to secure and provide information and to resolve problems.
- Interacts with the benefits, disability, and worker’s compensation offices to distribute benefit information and submit required documentation. Provides research and background information to facilitate administration and delivery of employee benefits.
- Tracks compensation and reconciles to the approved budget.
- Assists in the internal resolution of employee grievances. Provides information and assistance to the university employee relations office to facilitate grievance resolution.
- 5 or more years of relevant HR-related work experience
- Experience working in higher education
- Experience working with faculty offer letters and contracts
- Knowledge of Workday financial and human capital management system
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Team oriented, self-motivated, strong work ethic with the ability to meet deadlines and interact with all levels of management
USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy
The USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation is the 20th professional school established at the University of Southern California. Founded as an educational startup, the Academy is not just a home for disruptors but a disruptor itself. Focusing at the intersection of the arts, design, technology, and business, Academy programs prepare students to take on the complexities of a 21st-century marketplace, and to tackle society’s most intractable problems. Academy graduates possess significant abilities as leaders, creatives, and cross-disciplinary team members that focus on high-level problem solving in areas as diverse as communication, product development, human-centered design, e-commerce, health and well-being, social change, and the future of the arts, media, and entertainment ecosystems. As creators who are well prepared for an ever-changing global landscape, Academy students and graduates are sought after for highly competitive internships, fellowships, and full-time positions at a roster of prestigious organizations that includes many of the world’s largest and most significant companies.
The University of Southern California, founded in 1880, is located in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles and is the largest private employer in the City of Los Angeles. Ranked 19th among U.S. colleges and universities by the Wall Street Journal, USC is one of the world’s leading private research universities and a global center for the arts, technology, medicine, and international trade. As an employee of USC, you will be part of a world-class university and a member of the “Trojan Family,” which is comprised of the faculty, students and staff that make USC the great institution that it is today.
Minimum Education: Related undergraduate study
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of applicable laws governing payroll and personnel
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: