Los Angeles, CA – Health Sciences Campus
Join our Administration Team as the Human Resources and Operations Coordinator!
Institute and Team at USC:
USC is an award-winning workplace that offers a diverse community and values work/life balance.
The Southern California Clinical and Translational Science Institute (SC CTSI) is a research organization at the University of Southern California (USC) and Children’s’ Hospital Los Angeles (CHLA). Our mission is to support, promote and accelerate scientific discoveries and their application in real-life settings to improve health in diverse populations. SC CTSI develops and provides resources, services, trainings and tools in support of researchers, academic leadership and partners that collaborate to achieve this exciting mission.
The SC CTSI Central Administration team provides leadership, direction and support to SC CTSI core groups in areas of strategic and financial planning, development and integration of programs and services, cross-program communications, human resources, contracts and grants, and space and facilities management. The SC CTSI Human Resources and Operations team provide guidance and support for operations and staffing functions, interpretation and implementation of USC policies and procedures, recruitment and onboarding, promotions and performance management, employee engagement and relations, and other staffing support activities. We ensures SC CTSI core groups and its faculty, staff and stakeholders (e.g. collaborators, students, visitors, vendors, etc.) have the resources and information to serve our constituents.
Under the direction of the HR & Operations Special Projects Manager, the HR and Operations Coordinator will coordinate and lead recruitment, onboarding, and support HR and operations functions and projects. Responsibilities include but are not limited to the areas below. Special projects and other duties as requested.
Human Resources, Recruitment, Onboarding/Offboarding:
- Provide managers step by step process and applicable templates for hiring staff, to include job codes recommendations and obtain salary benchmarks. Guide managers through screening, selections, references, salary and benefit negotiation and hire and onboarding. Post jobs to external ad source or LinkedIn profile and support managers in conducting screenings and interviews when needed. Update recruitment report and provide updates to stakeholders as applicable.
- Coordinate with Keck School of Medicine Human Resources (KSOM HR) relevant information for recruitment and ensure compliance with USC job posting process regarding job posting to job site, documenting notes from interviews and references, notifying candidates of job application status, and offer request for candidates.
- Conduct completion of onboarding including obtaining signed personnel documents for KSOM HR upload, ensure staff completes Workday (personnel system) items, completes I9 and assist with Foreign National reverification. For temp staff, submit position management requests, request ivip.
- As needed, onboard vendors/Independent contractor by collecting required information for PSA, ICA, WSE and submitting info into Lincware and Position Management request to KSOM HR. Submit Workday Supervisory Org requests as applicable.
- Coordinate offboarding transactions as needed. Submit resignation notice to KSOM HR. Send offboarding task list to staff, and ensure manager and staff enter final hours and final check is paid timely. Complete and document information from exit interviews.
- Meet with KSOM Business Partners weekly to review department HR requests and ensure processing.
- Provide guidance to managers on USC and HR policies and procedures.
- Prepares and submits requisitions, new hire, transfer, and (new merit report, promotions, overloads) separation packets as needed. Scans and encrypts to employee files.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attends HRPals and HRPA quarterly and report back relevant updates and information
- Process On Demand Check Request, and Hours Input payrolls for staff and students. Calculate final pay details for terminated staff. Communicate these ad-hoc pay requests to Finance Team.
- Serve as department liaison for personnel and payroll transactions/inquiries (e.g. worker’s compensation, disability)
- Complete quarterly Effort Certifications
- Run various Workday reports
Operations and Engagement:
- Support employee engagement and recognition activities including celebrations of milestones, successes, new hire, terms, etc.
- Assists SC CTSI social engagement activities and holidays celebrations. Request gift cards and crowd fund as applicable (shared with Communications Coordinator).
- Support and coordinate SC CTSI Professional Development workshops, flyers, recordings, learning materials and pre and post workshop surveys.
- In conjunction with other team members, serve as a liaison for operations inquiries and activities to include providing access to space, keys, parking, etc. Assists in developing and coordinating implementation of department policies and procedures.
- Support staff mentorship program pilot and make recommendations to improve engagement of the program as applicable.
- Attend weekly operations meetings and join ad-hoc budget/business meetings for operational activities. Assess the information provided by constituents to make recommendations for staff activities, process improvement, and operations improvement.
- Prepares meeting agendas and presentation materials; records and transcribes meeting minutes and prepares summaries for distribution. Composes and prepares written documents and correspondence for manager, including memos, letters, presentations, and spreadsheets. Create and maintain special reports as assigned by manager. Support the coordination of operations meetings, when needed. Researches, gathers, organizes and summarizes information for projects and reports. Reviews information and presents results and recommendations to manager.
- Update org charts and directories as applicable.
- Other projects as needed.
Ideal Candidate will have:
- Ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality
- Excellent Communication Skills: Written and Oral
- Excellent Customer Service Skills; excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to deal with complex and sensitive issues and personalities
- 2+ years supporting Payroll and/or Human Resources activities
- Recruitment Experience a Plus
- Must be Proficient MS Office Outlook, Word, and Excel. Proficiency with Power Point, Visio and efficient in internet search applications.
- Detail Oriented: ability to identify variances, typos, etc.
- Work with a sense of urgency
- Experience calendaring and scheduling interviews
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent
Minimum Experience: 2 years
Minimum Field of Expertise: Skilled in payroll or personnel processing with knowledge of applicable federal, state, local laws and regulations. Ability to establish and maintain accurate payroll and personnel records.
USC is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law or USC policy. USC will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring ordinance. We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact USC Human Resources by phone at (213) 821-8100, or by email at [email protected]. Inquiries will be treated as confidential to the extent permitted by law.
Certain positions are subject to background screening
If you are a current USC employee, please apply to this USC job posting in Workday by copying and pasting this link into your browser: